The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a number of Engineers for its Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the Department of Energy's (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). NETL is a DOE national laboratory that produces technological solutions for America's energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites - Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. - conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE's mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States. NETL's research spans the entire fossil energy value chain - exploration and production; processing and production; conversion, and; disposal/reuse - with a focus on enabling activities in each segment of the value chain to be performed as efficiently and environmentally-responsibly as possible.
The responsibilities for these positions will be to support the conduct of research at NETL's campuses in Pittsburgh, Pa.; Morgantown, W.Va., and; Albany, Ore. ( https://www.netl.doe.gov/research/on-site-research ) This research spans the entire fossil energy value chain: exploration and production; processing and production; conversion, and; disposal/reuse. The successful candidate will work in various laboratories with modern equipment, such as gas chromatography, thermogravimetric analysis, mass spectrometry, material surface area/pore characterization, advanced microscopy and spectroscopy, particle flow analysis systems, triaxial measurement and testing systems, vacuum environment systems, data acquisition systems, etc., to bring innovative ideas to the fields of energy and environmental research and development. This will involve providing technical contributions during the research, development, testing, and operation at the bench-, pilot, or proof-of-concept scales of materials, components or systems. Adherence to appropriate environmental, health, safety and quality (ESH&Q), and business ethics policies and practices is critically important. The successful candidate will work on both local and geographically dispersed teams with other engineers, scientists, technicians, subject matter experts, faculty members, post-doctoral students, and graduate and undergraduate students from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. The candidate will attend regular and ad hoc meetings and contribute to the development of written reports and presentations on findings and innovative solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science-related field (e.g., biology, chemistry, economics, geology, mathematics, physics, etc.) and 6 years of job-related experience, or a Master's degree and 4 years of job-related experience.
- Knowledge of laboratory operations, equipment, and instrumentation.
- Detail-oriented, able to take initiative, and work well both independently and as a member of a team to meet multiple deadlines.
- The ability to conduct and document impactful research according to the requisite protocols, to analyze and interpret data generated from that research, and clearly report results.
- Experience working in an ISO 14001/OHSAS 18001-certified research laboratory environment coupled with knowledge of applicable environmental, safety, and health regulations and compliance practices, procedures and relevant personal protection equipment.
Successful candidates will possess some of the following qualifications and demonstrate competency in scientific or engineering modeling and analysis tools applicable to the specific tasks, such as:
- Biology: Avogadro, Bioperl, Expert, Galax, MatLab, PathVisio, etc.
- Chemistry: Gaussian, NAMD, VMD, Pymol, e Gaussian, GAMESS, NWChem, etc.
- Geology: ARCGis; 2D/3D software, borehole, fracture, and well data software, etc.
- Mathematics: BASE SAS, SPSS, R, and other statistical software, etc.
- Microscopy: EXAFS, micro-XANES, micro-XRF, TXM, etc.
- Physics: C/C++, Gaussian, GAMESS, NWChem, etc.
- Chemical engineering: Advanced Simulation Library, Aspen Plus, Aspen HYSYS, PRO/II, Fluent, MFIX, etc.
- Civil engineering: MicroStation, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Autodesk InfraWorks 360, Site 3D, WaterCAD, etc.
- Electrical engineering: HFSS, MatLab, Simulink, Pspice, Multisim, ETAP, Power World Simulator, etc.
- Environmental engineering: ArcGIS Desktop, MatLab, SWMM, Gaseq, GMS, IGW, etc.
- Industrial engineering: Autodesk, MatLab, SolidWorks, CATIA, Solid Edge, Mathematic, etc.
- Mechanical engineering: Fusion 360, Key Creator, Solid Edge, Inventor, SolidWorks, NX, CATIA, etc.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: