Voice Communications Systems Engineer - Gaithersburg MD or Ashburn VA offices
Leidos Civil Transportation and Finance Solutions Group is seeking a Voice Communications Systems Engineer with VOIP Expertise. The VCS engineer is responsible for the evolution of this essential air traffic system from a TDM based system to a compliant VoIP system to support flight service operations.
• The VCS engineer will oversee all requirements, design tradeoffs, development, article testing, operational acceptance, transition and implementation to a VoIP VCS in cooperation with a 3rd part VCS engineering supplier.
• Develop a new operational concept, and enumerating the architecture for integration with other flight service systems. Transitioning from an existing operational TDM based VCS to a VoIP VCS is foundational to the success of the program. Transition must be seamless with no loss of operational continuity.
• The VCS engineer, in coordination with the VCS supplier engineers, ensures all functional, performance and maintainability objectives are fully met. Testing will be conducted with a US Government agency using test, demonstration, inspection and analysis acceptance methods prior to operational implementation. • New component design is expected to be part of the program and will require a Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), first article testing and final acceptance from the VCS supplier.
• Typically requires BS degree and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10-13 years of prior relevant experience.
• Desired skills / experience include: Minimum of 3+ years of Voice Communication System experience performing design, development, test or system engineering
• Demonstrated experience with TDM Based Voice Systems (Large PBX's, Large Voice Switching Systems, etc.)
• A working knowledge of the ED-137B Standard (Interoperability Standards for VoIP ATM Components)
• A working knowledge of design considerations and tradeoffs for VoIP systems
• A working knowledge of Air Traffic Control and Air Traffic Control Voice Communications Systems
• Excellent skills with verbal communications, team building skills, and both written and client presentations
• Preferred engineering experience interfacing with US Government customers (FAA, DoD, etc.)