More About the Role:
Leidos is a large, multi-national corporation specializing in the management of complex technology programs. We have an exciting opportunity working with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to support the development and delivery of information technology services to the handling and processing of paper census questionnaires. The 2021 Census Questionnaire Management (QM) program, Program Management Office is located in the Southeast of the United Kingdom, near the ONS Titchfield, Hampshire office with the predominance of IT engineering support being provided from the US, in Lanham, MD.
Leidos heritage companies have significant experience in supporting Census operations in the UK (2001 and 2011), USA and Canada. Building on this experience, and the involvement of almost the same team, Leidos will continue its support of the ONS customer, delivering development, test, and operational capabilities for the 2021 Census. This work includes the production and post-out of blank Questionnaires to Households in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the receipt, scanning, data capture, keying and coding of returned forms.
What You'll Get to Do:
Plans, conducts, and coordinates software development activities. Designs, develops, documents, tests, and debugs software that contains logical and mathematical solutions to business/mission problems or questions in computer language for solutions by means of data processing equipment. Applies the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the development life cycle. Applies knowledge of computer hardware and software, subject matter to be programmed in business/mission applications, information processing techniques used, and information gathered from system users to develop software. Corrects program errors, prepares operating instructions, compiles documentation of program development, and analyses system capabilities to resolve questions of program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques, and controls. Ensures software standards are met.
Throughout the program, the candidate will be required to perform the following under the guidance of more senior software engineers:
• Create detailed software requirements including identification, definition and modeling.
• Design data structures and interactions used in the application solution.
• Perform the design, development, and testing of applications solutions to achieve the To-Be state.
• Implement third-party products needed to support systems and applications, including development toolkits.
• Develop and conduct unit testing to demonstrate stated requirements are accurate designed and implemented. Collaborate with the Test Engineering team in conduct of functional, system, integration, end-to-end, and performance testing of the solution and address defects to meet application requirements
• Prepare for solution deployment, deployment of the solution, and post deployment plans.
• Conduct code reviews, identify critical software errors and provide remediation
• Act independently to resolve design & development problems; engaging more senior engineering resources when appropriate
• Follow tasks to their logical conclusion and makes sure that everything has been done to the right standard, paying good attention to detail.
• Work comfortably both individually and as part of a team, and be prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way.
• Display acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
• Communicate clearly and efficiently to team members and Census customers, verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
• Analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
• Drive things forward regardless of personal interest in the task.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
-Requires BS and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience.
-Must have the following experience as a software developer/engineer:
-Experience developing software applications in C#, Visual Studio, .Net
-Experience integrating commercial software libraries with custom code.
-Experience using SQL to write database queries.
-Experience with source control tools.
-Experience of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
-Experience delivering medium-scale Agile development for complex, mission critical software programs
-Exposure and usage of applicable languages and software commensurate with, but not limited to:
oSoftware languages such as MySQL (Maria) JAVA, JAVA Script, C#, .Net, Visual Studio, Unix/Linux, XML, HTML, Ajax and/or other front-end skills, Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, PBS Pro Workflow, Tomcat, Web Services Development.
-Technical Management Tools such as JIRA Agile/Version One, TOAD, Rally (Requirements Management), Version Manager, and Serena Business Manager (SBM).
-Usability Software such as Microsoft Professional Suite including Project, VISIO, Word, Excel and SharePoint (2010 or newer).
-Must have familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle including Agile.
These Qualifcations Would be Nice to Have:
-Experience with image processing and scanning software.
-Experience with MySQL, Maria, and Oracle databases.
-Experience with Tableau administration and development.
-Build automation (Chef preferred, Puppet or Ansible plausible).
-Experience with Census customer(s).
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: