More About the Role:
Leidos is a large, multi-national corporation specializing in the management of complex technology programs. We have an exciting opportunity working with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to support the development and delivery of information technology services to the handling and processing of paper census questionnaires. The 2021 Census Questionnaire Management (QM) program, Program Management Office is located in the Southeast of the United Kingdom, near the ONS Titchfield, Hampshire office with the predominance of IT engineering support being provided from the US, in Lanham, MD.
Leidos heritage companies have significant experience in supporting Census operations in the UK (2001 and 2011), USA and Canada. Building on this experience, and the involvement of almost the same team, Leidos will continue its support of the ONS customer, delivering development, test, and operational capabilities for the 2021 Census. This work includes the production and post-out of blank Questionnaires to Households in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the receipt, scanning, data capture, keying and coding of returned forms.
What You'll Get to Do:
In addition to System Engineer responsibilities as detailed below, this individual will operationally report directly to one or more Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leads in collaborating and liaising with our ONS customer counterpart(s) in the delivery IT services.
The candidate will provide expertise in the evaluation of system requirements, architectures, models, designs, and release/deployment plans. Assess the operational and functional baselines of an organization and its supporting systems. Support the definition of the direction and strategy for systems to ensure the operational needs are being addressed against aggressive schedules. Oversee end to end SDLC of systems through to system deployment and operations. Support organizational and strategic planning for systems as they traverse the SDLC. Provide input in, but not limited to, System Architecture, System Modelling, Software Development, Systems Integration, Requirements Engineering, Business and Technical Analysis.
• Support reporting requirements both within Leidos and the customer.
• Design and documents system architecture and associated designs by analyzing requirements; constructing workflow charts and diagrams; studying system capabilities; writing specifications.
• Provide recommendations to enhance or improve to legacy systems by studying current workflows and designs and determining inefficiencies.
• Develop process/control changes by identifying gaps/issues/areas for improvement; writing improved processes.
• Maintain system protocols, architecture, requirements, and associated design documents by enforcing traceability, updating procedures, analyzing system and program changes.
• Prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
• Create detailed software requirements including identification, definition and modeling.
• Collaboration with the Test Engineering team in assessing found defects, make remediation recommendations to ensure the solution meets stated requirements.
• Participate in code reviews to assist in the identification of software errors and provide remediation recommendations.
• Ensure interface compatibility to include reviewing interface descriptions for completeness.
• Identify and document risks, issues and opportunities associated with the Questionnaire Management solution and services.
• Develop and maintain an effective collaborative relationship with the customer counterpart(s).
• Follow tasks to their logical conclusion and makes sure that everything has been done to the right standard, paying good attention to detail.
• Work comfortably both individually and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a team toward a common vision or goal.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
-Requires BS and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience.
• Experience in all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and capability to work in agile development processes
• 3 years or more as a Systems Engineer, with experience delivering medium-scale complex, mission critical software system
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience in a fast paced, external facing Customer Support department
• Experience with functional and/or technical aspects of enterprise commercial off the shelf software packages and custom development
• Census experience preferred (any country).
• Experience and core knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
• Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle including Agile.
• Tools/Technology Experience: Exposure and usage of applicable languages and software commensurate with, but not limited to:
oTechnical management tools such as JIRA Agile/Version One, TOAD, Rally (Requirements Management), Version Manager, and Serena Business Manager (SBM)
oUsability Software such as Microsoft Professional Suite including Project, VISIO, Word, Excel and SharePoint (2010 or newer)
• Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges, with experience working effectively within an Engineering department and interfacing with the customer
• Experience communicating clearly and efficiently to team members and customers, verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills
• Experience in metrics, determining process measures and tracking, determining process effectiveness and efficiency
• Must have familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle including Agile
These Qualifcations Would be Nice to Have:
• Software languages such as MySQL (Maria) JAVA, JAVA Script, C/C++, Unix/Linux, XML, HTML, Ajax and/or other front-end skills, Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, PBS Pro Workflow, Tomcat, Web Services Development
• System modeling experience