Looking for work-life balance? Leidos offers generous leave and accommodating flex-time to help you juggle your personal and professional life.
Leidos is looking you, our newest Fiber Laser Physicist to join our group of scientists, engineers and technicians who support work at a cutting-edge government research laboratory located on Kirtland AFB, NM. This laboratory conducts theoretical and experimental research in power scaling of kW class fiber laser technologies. Do you have the ability to use ingenuity and creativity to develop technical solutions to complex problems? If so you will perform at an advanced level, providing laser and optical engineering that support scientific work critical to Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL) programs, and will provide guidance to technical and programmatic staff to achieve goals in accordance with established policies. Work will be reviewed and measured based on meeting objectives and schedules.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
- Apply mitigation techniques to non-linearity and modal instability limitations of fiber laser systems for multi-kW high power scaling.
- Model, design, build and test optically pumped fiber laser systems in a government laboratory environment.
- Routinely work on solving problems requiring a high level of sophistication and creativity, and may lead more than one task on a project.
- Produce publications in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings
- Perform at a highly proficient, advanced level, providing scientific contributions to support an Air Force laboratory program
- Analyze data and write accurate, concise and readable test summary reports
- Engage in technical research and development in a fast-paced environment
- Work well with scientific peers
- Understand and abide by government safety rules and regulations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
These are the skills you will need to be successful in this job:
- PhD degree in Physics or Optics with 4 or more years of experience
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance
- Possess experience working in a research and development laboratory environment
- Possess expertise in high power solid-state laser systems
- Possess experience modeling, designing, building and testing optically pumped fiber lasers
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- PhD degree in Laser Physics or Optics with 5 or more years of experience
- Expertise in high power fiber laser systems
- Hands-on experience with optical and laser equipment
- Experience with LabView and related instrumentation and control software
- Working knowledge of vacuum, gas and fluid systems
- Modeling experience with MATLAB and/or FORTRAN
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: