Leidos is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer who specializes in optical communications to support our program office in Greenbelt, Maryland (ability to work remotely will be considered). The selected individual will support Next Generation optical communication ground terminal studies for the NASA Space network. Leidos is part of Space Communications Network Services (SCNS) team that is responsible for the operation, maintenance, sustainment, and systems engineering of NASA's worldwide satellite communication networks.
This position requires the ability to obtain a Secret clearance. U.S. Citizenship is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading all system engineering actives required to support optical communication R&D studies.
- Coordinate and review modeling, simulation, and analysis of optical communication technologies, techniques, and operational concepts.
- Developing technical documentation including requirements, interface control, verification, and operation concept documents.
- Evaluating potential optical communication architectures and ground station locations.
- Identifying system performance analyses, trade studies, risks and associated mitigations.
- Developing test plans and procedures for optical communications technologies and techniques.
- Supporting the development, coordination, and presentation of Key Decision Point (KDP) Presentations (e.g. PDCR, PDR, CDR, SRR, SIR, SAR, ORR, etc.)
Typical Education and Qualifications:
- Master's degree in engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics, or a related technical field and 15+ years of related work experience in field.
- 5+ years of using coordinate and review modeling, simulation, and analysis of optical communication technologies, techniques, and operational concepts.
- 5+ years of developing test plans and procedures for optical communications technologies and techniques.
- Prior experience NASA or other federal government agency projects.
- Experience with optical communications systems and subsystems.
- Familiarity with NASA, DoD, or other agency systems engineering processes.
- Knowledge of the NASA Space Network
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: