More About the Role:
Leidos is a large, multi-national corporation specializing in the management of complex technology programs. We have an exciting opportunity working with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to support the development and delivery of information technology services to the handling and processing of paper census questionnaires. The 2021 Census Questionnaire Management (QM) program, Program Management Office is located in the Southeast of the United Kingdom, near the ONS Titchfield, Hampshire office with the predominance of IT engineering support being provided from the US, in Lanham, MD.
As part of this program we have a requirement for a full time Database Administrator. Working under the Chief Engineer, this individual will be responsible for all Database Management Systems associated with the collection of response data, management information reporting, and questionnaire status.
This position will support the design and delivery of MySQL and MariaDB databases, utilizing the candidate's understanding of hardware and software - specifying organization, indexing methods, and security procedures.
What You'll Get to Do:
In addition to responsibilities as detailed below, this individual will work closely with one or more Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leads and collaborate and liaise with our ONS customer counterpart(s) in the delivery IT services. Candidate will also perform troubleshooting, architecture, administration, and tuning on databases, for Census applications.
• Design and implement backup and recovery strategies.
• Establish standardized database performance and tuning practices.
• Implement and enforce security for all of the databases.
• Actively engage with IPT leads on all things database-related, ensuring the team is in sync on design and implementation.
• Develop and execute Database upgrade and migration procedures.
• Define specialized aspects of user's data base administrator documentation and perform detailed comparisons of various database systems.
• Perform administration tasks (installing, maintaining, monitoring, recovering, rebuilding, patching).
• Collaborate with System Architect on storage systems, meeting the needs of the database.
• Implement solutions for performance enhancement, job scheduling, and increased user capability.
• Selecting the technology products or application solutions to fulfill business needs.
• Verifying implemented solutions adhere to Project requirements.
• Conducting design reviews, identify critical issues and provide remediation.
• Identify and manage all risks, issues and opportunities associated with the database systems.
• Support reporting/statusing requirements both within Leidos and the customer.
• Acts independently to resolve major problems; manages, responsible to accomplish long range objectives; self-supervised; decisions have a prolonged positive effect on organization's reputation and business posture; consultant to senior management and prime spokesperson to customer on company capabilities and future efforts.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
-Requires a BS Degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Master's with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Advance knowledge of Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB databases, clusters, and features.
• Demonstrated experience in database security.
• Experience working with large, complex, mission-critical database systems.
• Experience working in the various industry-leading cloud environment: AWS, Azure, Oracle cloud platform.
• Recognized authority in his/her field and exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness; applies and/or develops highly advanced principles, theories and concepts with large-scale databases.
• Experience with database tuning to accommodate complex queries against large databases.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: