The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a Technical Writer for a public health agency contract in Bethesda, MD.
Leidos is supporting a federal public health agency in Bethesda, MD, to provide systems development, maintenance and modernization support to this agency's portfolio of web-based systems.
The successful candidate will work in an Agile and fast-paced environment supporting NIH scientists, researchers, and IT professionals whose mission is to solve unique and challenging problems. The technical writer will support software development activities such as research, design, development and maintenance of web-based systems.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Review documentation and project deliverables, support CM and release activities and perform QA tasks.
- Edit a variety of documentation, reports, manuals and training materials.
- Ensure documentation content is of high quality and conforms to standards.
- Edit and improve existing documentation to comply with project standards.
- Ensure effective document and file management across multiple projects.
- Perform updates to core plans.
- Write up technical documentation (ie. Systems Architecture).
- Develop and deliver weekly and monthly project status reports.
- Develop as-built system requirements.
- Support project audit activities.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience with document structure and logic flow, as well as writing for non-technical audiences.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Must be able to effectively interface with Subject Matter Experts, Agile Scrum team members and mid-level management.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to research and organize process work steps in a concise and discernible manner.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments while ensuring technical accuracy, adherence to documentation standards, and a timely delivery of all work products.
- The ideal candidate has a strong writing/editing background, is self-organized, and possesses a willingness to divide their time between various areas of information technology documentation areas such as requirements, interface control documents (ICDs), data dictionaries, and security procedures.
- This position is responsible for ensuring that all assigned work activities are performed in a timely and cost effective manner while maintaining the highest quality of performance.
- It is imperative that the candidate be able to effectively manage priorities, requirements, and risks.
- Experience in document and repository management practices, working with engineering, scientific, and maintenance drawings and/or operational procedures, developing new and/or refining existing technical writing processes to enhance quality and productivity, awareness of Agile Scrum methodologies, software/hardware development principles, Microsoft Word template and macro development.
Applicants will qualify for the technical writer position with a Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent based on evaluation of academic credentials, training and/or experience) as well as 4+ years of related experience to include technical writing for hardware and/or software documentation for government customers. Experience may have been gained before, during or after degree.
Requires the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Writing and Editing