No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos is seeking a Research and Development Engineer 5 for our Morgantown, WV location.
- M eeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team and RIC programs as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- P rovide R&D technical support for the NETL Thermal Sciences team.
- Active participation in group meetings of the Thermal Science Team as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing CFD results in relation to experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
Responsible for assisting the Thermal Sciences team by:
a. Developing and applying CFD modeling to:
- Rotating detonation engines (RDE's)
- Fundamental detonation and deflagration processes
- Deflagration to detonation transition
- Analysis of inlet mixing and pressure loss
b. Developing and testing new combustion sub-models
c. Developing boundary conditions and numerical approaches applicable to detonative processes.
d. Developing CFD models utilizing both commercial and non-commercial CFD codes as well as in house codes.
e. Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, or related scientific field and at least 11 years of job-related experience or a Masters degree and 6 years of experience or a Ph. D. and 3 years of experience or equivalent. A Professional Engineer's license may substitute for 2 years of experience. Excellent communication and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs.
- Six or more years of total experience in:
a. Heat transfer, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics, specifically with application to combustion, deflagration, and detonation
b. Computational fluid dynamics simulation of gas combustion
c. Data analysis and reduction techniques for simulated and experimental data
- PhD in physics, mechanical engineering, energy, materials science, or a closely related field
- Minimum of five years of post-doctoral experience in CFD of combustion and complex flows
Due to "International Traffic in Arms Regulations" (ITAR) restrictions on studies of RDE inlet geometries and lean RDE operation (i.e. equivalence ratio
Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.