Leidos' Security and Engineering Programs (SEP) is seeking a Mid-Level Controls Engineer for the Center for Information Systems Services (CISS) program. The Controls Engineer works on a variety of projects and part of a team responsible for implementing, maintaining, and supporting the automation & process control infrastructure. This position interacts daily with Government clients to understand and develop automation requirements and transform them into effective software solutions. This is accomplished utilizing hardware & software engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, while using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications. The candidate must possess a working knowledge of PLC's such as: Automated Logic, Loytec, and Allen Bradley and be knowledgeable in multiple communications protocols such as: BACnet, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, LonWorks, OPCUA, and DNP3. This position also provides second level support for maintaining the automation & process control infrastructure, which may include on call as well as on site when required. In addition to being team oriented, the candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and have a working proficiency with MS Visio. This position will report to the IT Project Manager but works directly with the Government Controls Engineer on a near-daily basis.
This position requires an active Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
Shift: This position requires the ability to work the 3rd shift during initial project surge then move to 2nd shift permanently
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in design and engineering functions in accordance with accepted practices and program standards.
• Assist in preparation of project scopes of work, preliminary design concepts, and cost estimates for small projects. Assist in gathering field data and preparing project specifications.
• Coordinate design with other members of the project team.
• Works within provided scope of work, bill of material, specifications, cost estimates, and other necessary projects documents.
• Prepare project correspondence as required.
• Maintain positive client relationships on projects assigned.
Support and Administration:
• Perform or coordinate maintenance activities on process control equipment or systems.
• Perform upgrades, add new facilities, and provide replacement of hardware and software.
• Troubleshoot and resolve control system issues.
• Investigate new technological developments and processes.
• Research, recommend, and implement systems to enhance Systems functionality and reliability.
• Make recommendations to change standards and methods to improve processes and results.
• Provide support for Government Controls Engineer or Controls Specialist staff members as required.
• Ensure compliance with the Change Management process.
• Enforce process control system life cycle practices.
• Develop and maintain relationship with Process Control vendors to keep current with changes in operational control systems.
• Review vendor specifications, report findings and make recommendations.
• Operating Facilities are located in and around the DC Metro area
• Some days may require extensive walking between sites.
• Occasionally requires "on-call" out of hours support during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
• Minimal travel (less than 10%), including overnight, as required.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and 4+ years related experience. Additional experience and/or relevant certifications will be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Must have an active Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
• Ability to work the 3rd shift during initial project surge then move to 2nd shift permanently.
• Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and instrumentation process control equipment and systems, specifically with HVAC systems.
• Exposure to DDC Controls such as: Automated Logic, Alerton, Delta, Reliable, and Loytec.
• Working knowledge with Allen Bradley or related PLC's.
• Knowledgeable in one or more of the following communications protocols: BACnet/IP, BACnet MS/TP, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, LonWorks, OPCUA, and DNP3.
• Experience with MS Visio software and be able to maintain & modify system drawings.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, people and people management skills (e.g. listening, coaching, facilitating, tact/diplomacy, employee relations, development, motivation, team building)
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changes in priority efficiently.
• Experience/Knowledge of Kepware KepServer OPC software suite.
• Experience/Knowledge of Iconics Genesis64 Software Suite.
• Experience/Knowledge of Automated Logic WebCTRL software.
• Experience/Knowledge programming & configuring Loytec Devices.
• Experience/Knowledge programming & configuring Automated Logic Devices.
• Possess a good understanding of network fundamentals.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: