Leidos has an immediate opening for an Entry Level Hydrographer in our Newport, RI office. The job of the Hydrographer is to collect marine hydrographic survey data and perform data processing. Field work may include time on board survey vessels as part of a 3-12 member survey crew working offshore of the Continental U.S. for 3-6 weeks at a time (for potentially up to 6 months per year), or near-shore day operations. Data processing of hydrographic data may take place on board survey vessels, in shore-based temporary offices, or at the Newport, RI Leidos facility.
- Survey systems may include multibeam and single beam depth sounders, side scan sonar, Global Positioning System (GPS), sound velocity profilers, bottom samplers, survey data acquisition software, data analysis and data processing software.
- Candidate will perform data processing, prepare survey systems for the next field season, and other tasks as directed in an office environment when not at sea.
- Data processing may be performed on data collected by Leidos, or data collected by various customers.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering, with an emphasis on Marine Sciences, Environmental Sciences, or Ocean Engineering preferred.
- Candidate with up to 2 years of related experience which should include:
- Experience related to the following areas: maintenance and operation of underwater survey sensors, multibeam and single beam depth sounders, side scan sonar, GPS, sound velocity profilers, bottom samplers, survey data acquisition software, data analysis and data processing software.
- Must be able to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance.
- Strong mechanical background.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting hydraulic, electrical and computing systems.
- GIS software capabilities.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: