No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos currently has a need for a Health Physicist on a temporary basis to support Laser and Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Programs at NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. Health physics technical services provided at GRC include services in support of laser and other non-ionizing radiation activities as well as those tasks/activities/projects involving sources of ionizing radiation. The preferred candidate will have a general health physics background with additional experience implementing laser safety and non-ionizing safety programs. This individual will have the necessary training/education to become certified by the American Board of Health Physics. This position has a period of performance of approximately one year.
This position involves comprehensive knowledge of this field and the ability to complete difficult and complex assignments. Must have good leadership, analytical, and reasoning skills as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas and provide innovative solutions. Requires the ability to operate independently and communicate effectively, both internally with technical staff, peers, and management as well as externally with customers.
The Position will assist with tasks such as:
- Implement the written Laser Safety Program and provide SME inputs for update of Program as needed to maintain compliance with NASA NPR requirements, FDA regulations, and ANSI Z136 laser safety standards.
- Perform function of Laser Safety Officer and NIRSO or Radiofrequency Radiation Safety Officer
- Provide Subject Matter Expert inputs and reviews
- Identify, develop and implement risk mitigation plans for cases pertaining to the HP programs
- Recommend resolution of audit finding associated with the HP programs
- Provide follow-up to employee questions/concerns as SME for Laser and NIR safety programs
- Participate in laser safety reviews per the Center's safety permit process
- Perform hazard analyses, make recommendations to mitigate said hazards, access controls and PPE and provide direction on implementation of laser safety and NIR requirements.
- Consult with Occupational Medicine Services s needed on any laser or NIR incidents
- Review periodic inventory of high power laser devices performed by technician/specialist
- Perform site inspections of permitted laser activities to assess compliance with laser safety program requirements and safety permit conditions
- Implement the written Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Program.
- Develop RF safety training course
- Update the training content and provide instructor-led versions of training.
- Develop an inventory of hazardous NIR sources
- Perform field measurements of NIR sources.
- Provide HP technical support as needed in implementation of provisions of ionizing radiation safety programs in support of Center activities, projects and programs such as performing radiation and contamination surveys and provide reports, inspection, support shipping and receipt activities, maintain field equipment and perform field calibrations.
Bachelor's degree in a scientific or equivalent discipline and 4+years related experience. A general health physics background with additional experience implementing laser safety and non-ionizing safety programs. The individual should have the necessary training/education to become certified by the American Board of Health Physics. Having the Board of Laser Safety, Certified Laser Safety Officer certification is a plus.
The preferred candidate must be a U.S. citizen and able to successfully pass a basic background check. Candidate must be proficient with the use of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, for presentations, reports, and other uses. Previous experience at NASA or other Federal Agencies is preferred.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: