The Advanced Solutions Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a Senior Systems Engineer out of our Huntsville, AL, office. The purpose of the position is to plan and perform systems engineering activities associated with the development, integration and verification/validation of NASA's Space Launch System, specifically the (SLS) Integration and Test Facilities (IATF) and Software Development Facilities (SDFs) that will be used to verify the integrated avionics system at the Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC). This position will also perform system engineering activities associated with the development and verification of Emulators that will be delivered and integrated into various facilities and used to develop/test other NASA manned space flight systems.
The Senior Systems Engineer will provide Systems Engineering support onsite at MSFC in support of the Space Launch System (SLS) program. The candidate will apply systems engineering methods to define/evaluate SLS IATF systems and Emulator requirements, interfaces and plan/support IATF systems and emulator verification/validation activities. Additional responsibilities include:
- Perform or coordinate systems engineering activities including Trade Studies and Analysis, Requirements Definition and Traceability, Requirements Allocation and Verification, Interface Definition, System Integration and test, and Design Verification and Validation.
- Work closely with SLS IATF software, hardware, and facility development personnel during development and operation of IATF systems and emulators.
- Implement project verification and validation strategies by defining and delivering verification and validation project deliverables.
- Work with hardware and software development teams to create, review, and approve verification and validation deliverables.
- Review requirements for products to ensure that requirements and specifications can be verified and validated, including risk mitigations, usability and NASA requirements.
- Work with hardware and software development teams to understand the product configurations being developed.
- Identify the data that will be required to show objectively that all configurations of the product meet their requirements, as well as the customer needs.
- Ensure that all test systems and equipment are appropriately validated and controlled.
- Review and analyze test data and record pass/fail results and conclusions. Ensure that results are traced to requirements.
- Measure and report on progress toward completion of verification and validation.
- Summarize the verification and validation performed, the data reviewed, and conclusions reached in compliance.
- Support completion of development testing, to characterize designs and understand trade-offs.
- Project deliverables may include producing and/or reviewing verification and/or validation plans, protocols, and reports; execution of the plans and protocols; and resolving deviations.
- Manage timeline for verification and validation activities and generate status reports.
- Identify and communicate risks associated with Emulator to host-facility interface requirements and Emulator development activities to SLS IATF Management.
- Personnel are required to be self-motivated, effective team players familiar with working in a highly-dynamic work environment.
Limited travel to other NASA Centers and customer locations may be required.
Education: Degree in Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Industrial Engineering or a related technical field.
- Experience: Equivalent of a Ph.D. with at least 9 years of experience, Masters with at least 13 years of experience, or BS with at least 15 years of experience.
- Experience with Systems Engineering as a discipline, including some or all of the following: development of requirements, requirement allocation, and development of verification plans, verification objectives, verification matrices, and verification implementation.
- Experience in generating requirements, plans, and procedures for the development/test/deployment of simulation systems for aircraft, spacecraft or launch vehicle systems.
- Experience reading and working with engineering drawings, interface control documents, configuration documents, or other technical documentation.
- Experience generating test plans/procedures.
- Experience executing test procedures and recording/analyzing results.
- Experience performing verification activities and associated documentation.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, customer relation skills, and presentation skills.
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook).
- An understanding of launch vehicle simulation development and testing,
- Experience in physical and functional integration of systems into a Hardware in the Loop (HWIL) simulation facility.
- Experience with NASA and/or MSFC spacecraft avionics and flight software development/integration and testing activities.
- Experience supporting simulation to simulation integration or the development of simulation integration requirements supporting the DoD aircraft, Space Shuttle, ISS, or unmanned launch vehicles.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team of diverse individuals and reach group consensus on technical topics.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: