The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a Communications Coordinator in Bethesda, MD, contingent upon contract award.
Developing a communications plan for disseminating event announcements and news items and for highlighting Office activities - targeting audiences that utilize various communications platforms, including traditional and newly emerging approaches
Ensuring that data science related events and news content appear on the Office website, as well as, other highly relevant activities ongoing throughout NIH
Responding to inquiries sent to the email@example.com mailbox, working in coordination with Office staff
Maintaining updated presentation slide sets about the Office, the NIH Strategic Plan for Data Science, and other data science priorities to be determined for use by NIH staff
Managing the Office social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), on a daily basis. This will require close coordination with Office staff.
Assisting the Office in responding to Data Calls (e.g., NIH OD requests, Congressional requests) by being a point of contact, tracking requests, and organizing and editing office responses
Developing or coordinating announcements (e.g., via posters, flyers, NIH listservs, NIH newsletters) for Office lectures and events. Will coordinate with NIH OD and/or relevant NIH IC news media/communications staff for clearances, as needed
Facilitating the data science blog on the Office website, coordinating blog submissions, and ensuring that the blogs get appropriate review by Office and/or Division staff prior to publication
Attend NIH meetings related to data science and communications and provide a summary of the respective meetings for Office staff, as needed
Drafting, editing, and finalizing information products of all possible types and for a variety of audiences
Creating and obtaining Office approval on a style guide for Office information products
Support includes but is not limited to: providing web communications support for the office website, as required. Website support for the office website includes but is not limited to: seeking proper clearance on information products to be posted on the Web or disseminated elsewhere
Working with Division contractors to ensure posted items comply with Section 508 at www.section508.gov and related HHS and NIH practices
Organizing information on the office website logically and removing outdated material, as needed
Uploading new content to the office site using Drupal
May also be asked to prepare for, plan, coordinate, and otherwise lead usability testing and follow-up activities
Other Communications support:
Shall be responsible for providing a range of other communication activities that include, but are not limited to: communications planning; promotion of the office and its programs to the public and researchers through newsletters, brochures, press releases, videos, electronic media, and other information products; materials development, reproduction, printing, and dissemination; stakeholder outreach and partnership development
Evaluation of communications and outreach efforts, and report preparation
May also be asked to maintain and update systems for communications among NIH and contract staff to facilitate the efficient flow of information relating to projects and program activities
• May be asked to create, research, assemble, organize or otherwise handle requests for document support. These requests include, but are not limited to: scanning, photocopying, briefing book assembly, SharePoint and intranet support, reference libraries creation, and other activities related to document support. This may also include: cataloging of identified source materials, preparing documents for mail merge, setting up and formatting spreadsheets for later analysis, cleaning data in databases and spreadsheets for analysis purposes, creating bibliographies or relevant listings, and performing other document support duties (e.g., editing, formatting), as requested
• This task also requires gathering information about processes and programs; background information for use in reports, letters, responding to requests under the Freedom of Information Act; summarizing information; and preparing meeting minutes and materials for presentation (e.g., PowerPoint). Depending on the nature of the document management needs and the sensitivity of the materials, the contractor may be required to provide on-site support for a duration established by the COR
Meeting and Strategic Plan Support:
May be required to plan, coordinate, schedule, prepare for, implement, and perform other functions in support of Office meetings, events, briefings, working groups, and the like
Support includes but is not limited to completing conference approval paperwork, drafting agenda, developing background materials and briefings, working with logistics contractor(s), coordinate dissemination of related materials before and after the event, post web-based information, as needed
Required Education and Experience.
- MS or higher educational degree in communications and/or English
- 5+ years of experience working directly with the scientific/technical field(s) of interest in the SOW
- Ability to communicate technical information of the nature described in the SOW to lay audience, as demonstrated by writing samples.
- 5+ years experience writing for scientific news/press outlets
- Proficient in suite of Office tools, but most importantly Word and PowerPoint
- Experience working directly for or with federal scientific agencies strongly preferred
- Drupal experience preferred
- Experience with 508 compliance preferred
- Good track record as evidenced by favorable reference checks
- Ability to obtain and maintain NIH security clearance.
Requires US Citizen or US Person (Green Card Holder) with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.