Leidos currently has an opening for a Parachute Design and Fabrication Technician to work with the US Army Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center in Natick, MA.
- Participate in design, development and fabrication of parachute components and assemblies: Ascertain characteristics to be designed into the items and contribute suggestions and design ideas for solving problems encountered during fabrication and development. Developing corrective actions for defects found. Search for available information and develop a design approach.
- Evaluate industry developments for possible application to military requirements. Make preliminary layouts, work out design details, and fabricate prototypes.
- Draw upon knowledge of construction techniques, production methods, materials availability, and design practice. Consider loads, tensile strengths, finishes, sizes, weights, and other design aspects. Confer with design draftsmen to explain design and fabrication details.
- Assist project officers by fabricating experimental and prototype parachutes and related airdrop items such as personnel parachutes (Troop type, emergency rescue and ejection seat), cargo delivery, and other airborne operations.
- Repair parachutes by basting of new pieces of materials and making very fine and precise seams to attain strength equivalent to that in original assembly; remove stitches, damaged panels or lines, and sew in replacement parts.
4 years Material Engineering experience
Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and fabricate a final product efficiently
Knowledge and experience in different thread sizes, types and uses
Experience in operating, adjusting, maintaining and repairing industrial sewing machines
Experience working with hot knives and strip cutting machines
Experience working with Zero Porosity Ripstop Nylon and F-111 (MIL-C-44378)
Experience in parachute repairs and patches both senior and master rigger qualified
Excellent communication and problem solving skills
Strong attention to detail
Ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple actions at any given time
Excellent analytical and technical skills
Ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
FAA certified Master Parachute Rigger
Expert knowledge and experience of personal parachute systems and assembly both civilian & military
Expert ability to pack parachutes and follow technical manual procedures