Leidos is seeking a VP for Government Affairs to work in Washington, DC.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs and is responsible for representing Leidos' Health and Civil portfolios on Capitol Hill. Responsibilities include developing and implementing legislative and political strategies to support these programs. The position requires extensive interaction with Leidos' line managers to help guide them through the legislative process and to keep them well informed of congressional activities that may affect Leidos business. The position will also have interaction with other corporations and associations.
The successful candidate will develop and implement legislative and political strategies and programs to support Leidos initiatives and protect or promote company interests in the U.S. Congress. Specific accountabilities include:
• Establishing, developing and maintaining effective working relationships with members of Congress and their staffs, as well as trade associations and industry coalitions
• Maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Leidos' business interests in order to effectively identify, represent and advocate company positions and interests before Congress
• Evaluating proposed and existing federal legislation of importance to Leidos and effectively communicating the information back to the line organizations
• Build strong political relationships with key Congressional Members and staff, coalitions and allied organizations
• Establish reputation as trusted, credible source of information among stakeholders, congressional members and staff
• Monitor and maintain information on legislation, policy, and lobbying efforts as well as provide in depth legislative and budget analysis
• Create and implement strategy to achieve Leidos' goals on legislative and policy initiatives and achieve positive outcomes in those processes
• Work collaboratively with the lines of business to deepen internal partnerships and provide proactive legislative insight and support
• Support a range of issues within the civil portfolio to include areas: Health, Energy and Homeland, VA and other areas within the Civil and Health portfolios.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in related field and 15+ years of overall experience including 10+ years of related legislative and/or lobbying experience working on Capitol Hill and with federal government relations. Success in this position will require the incumbent to possess excellent relationships with current members of Congress and committee staff.
• Possesses a thorough understanding of legislative processes and the ability to establish relationships with elected officials and industry partners that will be beneficial to the organization
• Ability to maintain and develop relationships in the political arena
• Congressional experience
• Proficiency in MS Windows, Word, and PowerPoint required
• Strong verbal, communication, research and excellent written skills with the ability to prepare policy documents
• Highly proactive, entrepreneurial and able to navigate ambiguity and complexity while developing successful solutions
• Organized and self-motivated, strong project management skills in order to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously from beginning to end within a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
• Ability to work collaboratively, and engage comfortably with senior executives; highly skilled in the use of persuasion and influence
• High-level creative thinker with the confidence to use it; proactively seeks out newer, better ways to get things done, using existing resources and creating efficiencies
• Knowledge/experience in the executive branch is highly desired
• Master's degree