We are currently seeking a highly motivated Scrum Master supporting the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Data Warehouse (HDW) in Bethesda, MD.
As the Nation's public health agency, HRSA's mission is to provide direct and indirect resources to administer to the health care needs of the medically under-served in the United States. In order to do so, HRSA requires extensive data on population, income, existing health care resources, the health workforce, as well as various other types of contextual data. Data are stored in the HDW repository and published to the HRSA intranet and the internet via numerous web applications, business intelligence dashboards, mobile applications, data services, and other mechanisms.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will be a seasoned leader with a broad understanding of technology's impact. Energetic and self-motivated, the ideal candidate will be of a value-driven and customer-centric mindset.
- Agile Ceremony Facilitation -
- Facilitate daily stand-ups, sprint planning, refinement, sprint review, retrospectives, and other related team and intra-team meetings
- Participate in sprint demonstrations and scrum of scrums
- Maintain and generate information radars for the teams
- Collect and share team metrics with the team, suggest new metrics, and drive improvement using metrics
- Planning -
- Ensuring that goals, scope, and product domain are understood by everyone on the team
- Ensuring that the technical team has a clear understanding of Definition of Done
- Drive stories to Ready state in preparation for the next quarter and upcoming sprint
- Prepare for and facilitate bi-monthly releases, and sprint planning with the product owner and the team
- Work with the team and Product Owner/Manager to maintain a healthy backlog and plan upcoming releases and assist with drafting acceptance criteria
- Team Support -
- Able to limit ego and the 'desire to control'
- Foster team collaboration and timely communication
- Encourage team to be proactive during all phases of the sprint.
- Work with the team to adapt to changes that yield better results
- Encourage an experimental and fail-fast mindset
- Remove impediments to the team's ability to perform by working closely with the team and stakeholders, including product owners, management, other teams, and the support organization
- Works with team to create and update team working agreement, the definition of ready, and definition of done
- Communicate the status of progress and impediments to internal and external stakeholders
- Facilitate cross-team coordination, tracking and following up with external dependencies
- Act as a buffer between external distractions and the team helping the team to keep focus.
- Protect the team and minimize disruptions.
- Coordinate with the configuration management analyst on environment setups & maintenance, code deployments, and production releases
- Builds high-performing teams by helping the team manage interpersonal conflicts, challenges, and opportunities for growth. Build trust among team members.
- Encourages brain-storming and creative thinking. Encourages the team to be confident and courageous, thinking outside the box
- Capture agile metrics as required for CMMI monitoring
- Advice and Guidance -
- Coaches the team on agile and scrum principles with a goal of continuous improvement.
- Able to observe team dynamics, recognize strengths and weaknesses of individual team member's contributions, and coach them to improve.
- Create a fun sharing and learning environment, experimenting with various ideas to improve delivery including pair-programming and cross-functional training
- Promote teamwork to achieve sprint goals
- Lead the teams towards agile maturity
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, across diverse systems and groups.
- Experience applying scrum and growing teams as a fulltime Scrum Master for 5 years or more
- Experience-affecting change in organizations working towards agile adoption
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP)
- Experience using agile project management tools, preferably JIRA and Confluence
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Manages time extremely well, can quickly sense when an issue needs to be discussed or triaged
- Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical
- Technology experience software development related to healthcare data warehousing
- Experience working in with multi-disciplinary development teams
- Relevant understanding of CMMI Level 4 Concepts
- BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- SAFe experience is a plus
- Experience as a Scrum Master at an organization that is committed to using agile as a core methodology to deliver business value
- Experience in any part of the software development lifecycle is a plus - as the developer, tester, analyst, product manager, project/program manager, etc.
- Experience with applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the teams
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status and the ability to pass a background investigation is required. Candidates will be required to sign and adhere to data use agreements on an annual basis. Work to be performed at a Leidos site in Bethesda, MD.