Leidos is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to work in a cross-discipline environment on several free-space optical communications prime contracts that require opto-mechanical structure and packaging design. Target platforms include ranges of temperatures, shocks and vibrations over which alignment and pointing performance must be maintained. For higher vibration platforms control of resonance is critical to system performance and operation. These projects include mechanical design for mounting structures, electrical cabling support structures, optical mounting fixtures, thermal analysis and management design, prototype fabrication, integration and test that may lead to Low-Rate Initial Production.
Duties will include:
- Develop solutions to complex mechanical systems based on performance specification, constraints, and external interfaces
- Lead analysis and design of mechanical systems in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Prepare and present design review materials for customers and internal stakeholders
- Prepare purchase and test specifications for electro-mechanical components and subsystems
- Participate in planning for and tracking of progress in development projects using tools such as Microsoft Excel and Project
- Familiarity with design for hydrostatic pressure, galvanic and marine environmental corrosion factors and prevention methods, and use of SolidWorks CAD and PDM Pro CAD management software is desired.
- Requires BS and a minimum of 2 of prior relevant experience
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance
- Prior experience with either Mechanical Engineering or Ocean Engineering is preferred
- Requires working knowledge of and ability to apply standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques of technical domain.
- Maritime experience greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with ANSI Y14.1 drawing standards and SolidWorks CAD preferred.