The Maritime Solutions Division (MSD) of Leidos' Advanced Systems Group develops and deploys advanced technology solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for a broad range of customers across the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, other governmental agencies and commercial clients. MSD is currently seeking a Project Coordinator to support a world-class LEAN manufacturing environment for current and future projects spanning advanced concept and prototype development, low-rate initial production and full-rate production.
This immediate opening seeks a Production Coordinator with experience applying manufacturing practices to technically complex systems in relatively low initial volumes. The ultimate objective is to achieve continuous flow assembly in single or small batch runs without waste and short cycle times. The successful candidate will work with the production manager and collaboratively with an outstanding group of engineers and production technology technicians in Long Beach, MS. You will become part of a world class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development, and will support production of advanced ocean electronic systems for the US Navy.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineers to determine process cycle times and lead times for several value streams within a product, and for multiple product lines. Work with the production line manger to build and effectively execute aggressive and balanced continuous flow production schedules.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineers to support the establishment and execution of fundamental LEAN tools/processes including 6S, value stream mapping, point of use storage (POUS) and visual factory displays/controls.
- Engage with the workforce to achieve successful implementation of Kaizen events including the relentless pursuit of continuous improvement by eliminating waste and increasing cycle times. Support the creation and maintenance of a Kaizen wall to prioritize events and celebrate success stories.
- Assist in work cell (cellular manufacturing) design including U-shaped configurations with consideration for poka-yoke, Jidoka, stop-the line, and other Quality at the Source initiatives.
- Lead or assist in creating an environment of rapid changeover (SMED) to produce a variety of products at a single line or work cell.
- Provide or coordinate cross-training to production workers and help establish a Flexible Workforce to increase our ability to execute along value streams.
- Generate or improve Standard Work to include detailed definitions of the most effective methods to achieve a balanced, continuous flow by breaking work into elements which are sequenced, organized and consistently followed. Calculate takt times, identify bottlenecks and work to eliminate them.
- Assist or lead capital improvement projects aimed to improve throughput or quality at the source.
- Participate in design-for-manufacture (DFM) during development phases of new programs to assure a smooth transition to LEAN manufacturing afterward.
- Liaison between production and design engineering to ensure drawings are ready for production
Requirements (Education /Years of Experience/Skill Sets - both technical & soft skill):
- High School Diploma with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience with ISO9000 quality management systems.
- Broad knowledge of production equipment and tools and the ability to effect change through influence.
- Knowledgeable in drafting techniques using AutoCad and SolidWorks.
- Ability to write new work instructions from drawings and prototype assemblies.
- Broad knowledge of electronic assembly skills including J-STD and IPC specifications and techniques
- Effective hands-on skills and the ability to interact with shop floor personnel and demonstrate proper assembly techniques
- Basic understanding of MRP systems such as effective issuance of manufacturing orders (MO's) to the shop floor and inventory management techniques.
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical manufacturing processes including assembly and test.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must possess an active SECRET Security clearance