Leidos is seeking an on-site transportation project manager to provide management of both supporting staff and facility. The oversight of a lab and onsite infrastructure includes a fleet of vehicles with automated driving systems, wired and wireless communications to support a variety of existing and prototype hardware, climate-controlled garage for vehicle augmentation, space for the testing of hardware, and space to enable engineers to operate efficiently.
Leidos operates FHWA's Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL) in McLean, VA, defining the future of transportation and connected/automated vehicles. The laboratory is the premier FHWA research facility leading efforts related to nearly all aspects of roadway operations research. On-site efforts include (but are not limited to): novel intersection designs, connected and automated vehicles, vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications, vehicle-to-infrastructure communications (V2I), etc.
A successful candidate will be customer focused with strong communication skills to perform communication and outreach activities - including coordinating and leading tours for high profile visitors. The research coordinator will develop working knowledge of all ongoing team efforts and equipment, and apply that knowledge in coordination of research activities and resources; both for day-to-day actives and large-scale special events.
This position provides diverse job functions of both technical and managerial in nature, including but not limited to:
• Coordinating all aspects of day-to-day STOL operations
• Supervise a team of communication and outreach specialists
• Act as the daily point of contact (POC) to Government representatives for Lab activities
• Lead client and guest communications, tours, and demonstrations.
• Document all asset/equipment inventory, tracking, and record keeping (to include development of new/better processes)
• Lead procurement, maintenance, and disposal of operations and testbed facility equipment
• Ensure full maintenance of all vehicles assigned to STOL
• Document performance tracking and reporting
• Proactively coordinate team schedules to ensure asset availability and utilization
• Coordinating equipment/tools availability for an equipment loan program to offsite users.
• Managing and improving existing operations and develop new support services
• Produce clear and concise written communication
• Follow an efficient, effective, and repeatable process that demonstrates a mature environment
• Provide technical support to other team activities as needed and required
An ideal candidate is a self-starter, attentive to details, proactive to customer needs, and is able to problem-solve on the fly. A successful lab manager will be able to work independently, yet is able to quickly identify when to reach out for additional support.
• A Bachelor's degree, or higher. Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Transportation or similar engineering strongly preferred
• A Minimum of 2 years of experience in lab, office, or project management activities. Knowledge of connected and automated vehicles and the transportation industry preferred
• Excellent Communication skills
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint)
• Effective time management and prioritization of multiple simultaneous tasks
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
• Must have valid US Driver's License
• Prior experience as a technical lead (preferred)
• Prior experience in IT, networking, data management, artificial intelligence, cyber security, or software development (preferred)
• Prior experience in helpdesk services or technical support (preferred)