No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos has an opening for a Lead Design Engineer for Antarctic Support Contract, supporting large scale sustaining operations and multiple projects across 3 United States Antarctic stations, 2 research vessels and multiple field camps. The Lead Design Engineer provides engineering expertise and guidance for the design, development, and implementation of various project solutions. Serves as lead integrator for program-wide design efforts; oversees designs of major projects, coordinates design reviews with multiple stakeholders and works collaboratively with multiple A&E firms. The Lead Design Engineer will develops and maintain schedules, ensures compliance with engineering principles, design standards, and program/customer expectations. Along with, driving strategic engineering support, demonstrating a breadth and depth of knowledge in across multiple engineering disciplines. The Lead Design Engineer supports/leads Engineering Review Boards, supports Change Requests and works with multiple stakeholders to ensure successful integration across the program.
The Lead Design Engineer will oversee the full technical scope of the multiple projects including a major Design-Build project, develop detailed design schedules, and ensure projects have a successful start-up.
This position is responsible for the management of design and construction sequencing, test and validation, configuration, document controls and supply chain engineering (a support function for procurement).
- Support the design process through the projects life cycle, overseeing and directing technical resources, monitoring the technical aspects of the project, coordinate with Project Managers, Sub-contractors and stakeholders and perform design management functions through construction.
- Coordinate all design discipline staffing requirements for the Project management organization
- Responsible for design scope development, scope management and commercial/internal performance of the project design to meet project goals and objectives.
- Monitor the quality and progress of the design on each project, ensuring that production requirements are satisfied. Works closely with Project Managers to resolve any existing or forecasted problems related to design staffing, quality of work, schedule performance, or productivity.
- Staffing and scheduling the design work to meet construction milestones, and regular interaction with the team to ensure engineering optimization of the design and prioritization of the design work.
- Establish the program requirements for design aspects of the projects, and monitor the draft and final deliverables for adherence to these criteria.
- Work with other managers, engineers, and discipline leads to develop budgets, schedules, and plans for the various elements of a project.
- Reviews and approves discipline staffing budget estimates and staffing assignment schedules on each project. Maintains appropriate staffing level, including temporary personnel, as needed. Reviews and approves staff forecasting reports.
- Work with the Project Manager and key project individuals to devise and execute action plans to rectify potential cost overruns or delays, or to accommodate significant changes to the scope of work. Advise the stakeholders and program leadership of any such changes.
- Establish standards and procedures manuals for project designs for the Project management organization Portfolio. Recommend improvements to organization and Program procedures.
- Promote technical and commercial excellence on the project through application of Quality Assurance processes.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited institution
- 12-15 years' experience
- Ability to work in complex, matrixed environment
- Project management knowledge
- Proven leadership and team building skills along with a professional demeanor
- Knowledgeable in project management software
- P.E. license is required
- Must be willing to travel to project sites
- Proven ability to perform in a supervisory/managerial capacity
- Thorough knowledge of industry practices and regulations are required
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic environment
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Previous experience as a Lead Engineer, General Engineering Mgr, or Solutions Architect
Deployment to Antarctica may be required for this position.