Leidos has an exciting opportunity to join our team supporting safe operations at the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. In this role your expertise will be essential to support safety activities in support of the NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC) test operations. GRC test facilities contain complex process, mechanical, and electrical subsystems with varying degrees of hazards. The Safety Engineer will act as a resource to Center operations and work closely with facility engineers, test system operators and construction personnel. He or she must have broad industrial safety experience as well as a strong technical background. The position works under general supervision of the Lead Safety Engineer and is expected to apply fundamental engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
Duties include the following:
- Review the designs of new or modified test facilities and or systems for safe operation. Review multi-discipline design drawings for all elements of operational and related facility safety and report findings and recommendations.
- Participate in design reviews and engineering review board meetings. Provide input on safety compliance and best practices.
- Review test facility process hazard analyses (PHA), comment on and provide guidance on specific PHAs, as well as methodologies.
- Review all test system and facility safety documentation.
- Perform construction safety tasks including review of site-specific Health and Safety Plans (HASPs) for construction and maintenance activities, participate in constructability reviews and construction meetings and provide safety guidance.
- Provide subject matter expertise on code compliance and input to NASA GRC safety policy.
- Perform compliance assessments of safety and health programs against OSHA regulations and the Safety and Occupational Health, and Environment Program Manuals, as appropriate.
- Be a general resource for multiple safety subject areas such as facility life safety, fall protection, PPE / JHA, LO / TO, confined space entry, process safety, construction, hot work, etc.
- Perform training of specific safety subject areas and act as a subject matter expert.
- Perform test facility and or related building safety inspections, as needed.
Typical Education & Required Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a safety, engineering, or other technical discipline with related safety experience. Minimum 10 years' experience. Extensive experience and related education may be considered, in lieu of a degree.
Preferred Technical Experience and Skills:
- Education and practical experience in systems and processes similar to those at GRC is highly desirable. These include aerospace test systems such as wind tunnels, jet engine test facilities, turbomachinery research and operation, material science, propulsion system testing, fuel and oxidizer flow, cryogenics, large scale vacuum systems, pressure vessels and piping, chemical handling, etc.
- General knowledge of facility systems such as life safety, ventilation, electrical, and material handling;
- Familiarity with construction site activities and safety procedures and requirements;
- Experience with process systems and elements of Process Safety Management of major research or process industry facilities.
- An engineering and or technical background in various process, utility, industrial and or mechanical systems and an understanding of associated hazards and risk assessment methodology.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and systems. Work cannot begin on the contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.