The Defense group at Leidos is actively seeking a Senior Virtualization Architect to join our team at Fort Belvoir, VA.
Serves as a principal level engineer for a mid-sized virtual farm consisting of two primary locations and multiple satellite sites with small-footprint Cisco UCS deployments at each of three different classification levels, in addition to VMWare Horizon View deployments at each level as well. The principal engineer has overall responsibility for planning and execution of farm upgrades, enhancements and future capabilities to support evolving mission requirements while maintaining farm integrity and availability. Duties will include planning farm expansions, deploying new hardware as appropriate, updating critical infrastructure hardware and software, and anticipating and responding to future resource requirements based on existing trends.
The principal engineer will also work alongside junior engineers and operations & maintenance (O&M) staff to oversee and provide guidance on normal operational duties to include patching and updates, image and template creation and maintenance, health checks, resource allocation, backups and snapshots, and response to user issues and tickets as required.
Strong oral and written communication skills are required as the principal engineer ill provide all documentation for developed solutions, including Technical Implementation Plans (TIPs), Work Instructions, As-Built documents and operational transition documentation.
Position entails providing engineering services on a multi-discipline engineering team. As a minimum, the position requires:
- Requires BS degree and 12 - 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 - 13 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Proven experience designing and implementing an enterprise-class virtual infrastructure using ESXi v6.x at multiple sites
- Strong experience with vSphere and vCenter
- Configuration and management of the Platform Services Controller
- Experience configuring and maintaining distributed virtual switches
- Experience working with HA and DRS clusters, server and storage vMotion
- Virtual network configuration and troubleshooting skills
- Capacity planning and management and system tuning experience
- Ability to innovate and automate complex operations using scripts and other tools
- vSAN configuration and troubleshooting
- Strong experience with VMWare Horizon View including familiarity with Dell/Wyse zero-client endpoints
- Fluency in using Windows PowerShell scripting language to automate administrative, maintenance and engineering tasks
- Advanced understanding of Windows networking services, to include DNS, DHCP, Sites and Services
- Thorough understanding of DoD server and application hardening processes including ACAS remediation and STIG checklists
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, to be able to effectively document solutions and obtain requirements from customers
- VCP or equivalent Professional Certification
- CompTIA Security+ or CISSP
- Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Top Secret/SCI
In addition to basic qualifications listed above, an ideal candidate would have:
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Linux and Microsoft Windows Server guest platforms
- Master's Degree in an Information Technology Discipline
- ITIL v3 Foundations certification