Global Information Grid (GIG) Service Management-Operations (GSM-O), a program within the Defense and Intelligence Group of Leidos, has an opening for a Network Engineer. The Defense Information Systems Agency - Central (DISA Global) is located at Scott AFB, IL and acts as provider of GIG/Defense Information System Network (DISN) services to the Department of Defense (DoD) and national security organizations.
The Network Engineer will provide support to the Operational Engineering Division as a member of the Transport team. The primary role of Transport is to restore any network-impacting event affecting customer service. The team accomplishes this goal using a variety of resources, knowledge, and expertise to perform fault isolation, analysis, and troubleshooting across various Transport platforms including SONET Optical/Fiber Transport (ODXC/MSPP), Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Time Division Multiplexing (TDM), and cryptographic systems.
- Working knowledge of one or more Transport platforms: CIENA 6500, CIENA Corestream, Cisco NCS2K, CISCO MSPP 15454/15310, SYCAMORE ODXC 16K/9K, XTERA, and other ancillary equipment.
- Manage GTMS ticket reporting, in accordance with Change Management procedures
- If available, use SOPs, TTPs, and WIs to complete Change tasks
- Perform network monitoring to asses if deployed changes have caused impacts to customer traffic using provided expectations of traffic behavior, lessons learned, and customer reporting
- Engage with other engineers to determine the best practice and operation of the network to maintain constant operation
- Determine the most efficient configuration of the network based on Engineering documents and experience
- Provide input to Government customer on best practice for the operation and maintenance of the network
- Engage customers to determine solution to reported problems to network outages and degradations experienced
- Coordinate with Ticket Queue Master to correct any issues that fall outside of those covered by the TTP documentation
- Use TTPs to complete final validation checks to set GTMS tickets to closed status
- Support Authorized Service Interruption (ASI) Activities Collect site and device data
- Determine scheduling of maintenance windows
- Coordinate dispatch of technicians and availability of site personnel
- Review Problem Management candidate tickets to accept or reject based on SOP
- Interact with Problem Coordinator and Government customer on proposed solution
- Perform Root Cause analysis to determine reason for continued outage(s)
- Engage vendor support and customer technical assets to determine troubleshooting methodology to use in the resolution or determination of the root cause
- Ad-hoc engineering support, statistics/data gathering and reporting
- Dispatch/RMA Actions Correct/Replace Faulty Network Elements
- Interact with vendor Technical Assistance Center (TAC) personnel to gather needed data to create hardware replacement order
- Mission Support Services (MSS) Support / Sustainment / Compliance
Education & Experience:
- Requires BS and 4 - 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 - 6 years of prior relevant experience. Additional experience, education and training may be considered in lieu of degree.
- DoD 8750 certification at IAT level II, Security+ CE or CCNA Security within 90 days of start date
- Currently possess an active DoD Secret Security Clearance with eligibility for a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
- Experience with some or all equipment platforms: CIENA 6500, CIENA Corestream, Cisco NCS2K, CISCO MSPP 15454/15310, SYCAMORE ODXC 16K/9K, XTERA, and other ancillary equipment.
Additional Desired Skills:
- Become actively involved in daily operations when required to meet critical schedules or resolve complex problems.
- Develops solutions to complex technical issues and problems that affect multiple area or disciplines.
- Communicates with internal team members across multiple areas external to the organization (e.g., sub-contractors, vendors, etc.)
- Experience understanding and managing customer expectations
- Team and goal oriented in achieving day-to-day objectives and goals
- Able to work independently on complex projects/assignments.
- Able to assist other technical staff with tasks and assignments to achieve results
- Addresses technical issues/problems using best practices and collaboration with colleagues.
External Referral Eligible