At Leidos we combine our deep customer expertise with tailored analytic systems to distill big multi-media datasets into valuable knowledge and insights. We work side-by-side with advanced research and development organizations such as Amazon, Google, and various top-20 universities to develop solutions.
The fields of data science, data engineering, and artificial intelligence, are expected grow rapidly in the next decade. While these trends are somewhat self-evident and obvious, the challenge for Leidos is to identify talented individuals and implement market-tested technical capabilities in data science and engineering to capture value in new business ventures or on-contract-growth opportunities.
The Data Science & Engineering team at Leidos is looking for interns this summer at our Arlington, VA office. This is an exciting opportunity to apply your academic knowledge to real-world strategic company initiatives. The internship will offer an opportunity for the successful candidate to work with leading Leidos practitioners and team members in data science and engineering on one or more of the following projects:
Expand and extend current practices in data engineering (collect, curate, transform) to identify and prototype best practices in data engineering pipelines (batch and streaming prototypes exists); Identify from existing projects the data engineering workflows and develop performance metrics, including but not limited to earned-value, basis of estimates, basis of actuals, and other engineering economics/finance metrics (data available, need to model and calibrate); or Assess advanced data engineering tools or methods (such as model-based systems engineering for data engineering) and prepare technology forecast/assessment summaries (some candidate technologies identified). Participate in other data engineering/developer based projects which would be available in May 2019.
- Understanding of basic project or systems engineering concepts and principles with demonstrated uses in coursework (term projects) or capstone projects
- Experience with data analysis including data modeling/representation such as XML, JSON, DDF, or similar
- Works with the users and subject matter experts to gather and fine tune requirements and interact with the stakeholders on a periodic basis to ensure that the application built meets expectations.
- Tasking by project team as needed
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate education in Computer Science, Data Science, Systems Engineering, or related field, with at least 2+ years completed. Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- Demonstrated knowledge of data science methods: classification, regression, change detection, ML/DL, time series, model building - training-validation-testing, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data engineering principles and techniques: Extract-Transform-Load of data objects using Python (for example); missing values completion, bias detection, outlier examination/testing, cross-validation, and large population sampling methods.
- Must be detail-oriented, have excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to obtain DoD security clearance- US Citizenship required.
- Pursuing Graduate degree
- Desire to continue working with Leidos on a part-time basis during the school year