We are looking for Media Monitors and Technical Language Processing Personnel for a large language services contract supporting an Intelligence Community customer in the National Capital Region (NCR). Foreign Media Monitors and Foreign Media Analysts will perform a full range of activities in processing textual, video, audio, and social media material, including monitoring, selection, full translation, summarization, and analysis based on the monitoring and analysis of traditional media and social media information. Technical personnel would facilitate the capture, collection, and processing of this information. All work will be performed from the linguist's home office.
Primary Languages of Interest: Any and all languages of Africa; East Asia and Pacific; Europe and Central Asia; Latin America and Caribbean; Middle East and North Africa; South Asia. All applicants must have full professional fluency in American English, including a command of common idioms and expressions.
- All candidates MUST BE ALLOWED to work legally as an independent contractor in their COUNTRY OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE. Relocation services will not be provided.
- All linguists will be independent contractors for a Leidos sub-contractor.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The primary responsibilities of the Foreign Media Linguists and Analysts are:
- Monitor assigned Internet-based media sources and social media and make selections based on customer criteria; monitor hard copy sources, live television and audio as required
- Process source vernacular into translations, summaries, roundups, and other defined products
- Adhere to strict style and format editorial standards
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- MUST BE ALLOWED TO WORK LEGALLY AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (IC) IN THEIR COUNTRY OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE.
- Experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist
- Experience with research and reporting on publicly available information, including social media exploitation
- Focused knowledge of particular media environments
- Ability to capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text
- Experience in translating or summarizing from live or recorded video or audio
- Ability to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts
- Ability to triage selections to isolate pertinent and nuanced info
- Ability to master use of reference materials.
- Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient Internet skills that will allow advanced research on the Web
- Ability to work independently and as a contributor to a virtual team
- Successful completion of English and foreign language translation testing (ILR level 3 or higher)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and at least three years of experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist
- Experience with Human Language Technology (HLT) such as computer assisted translation (CAT) tools, post-edited machine translation, and adaptive machine translation tools.