The Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR)/Mission Equipment Package (MEP) Processing, Exploitation, and Dissemination (PED) Division of the Leidos Defense Group currently has a career opening for an Aerospace Engineer for the Tactical Unmanned Aircraft Systems (TUAS) and Gray Eagle Modeling, Navigation and Integration (GEMNI) programs. This position is located in our Huntsville, Alabama offices.
The Aerospace Engineer will be part of an Engineering Team supporting UAS systems. This can include software, datalinks, avionics, payloads, and other aerospace engineering tasks.
Standard engineering methodologies, processes, and tools will be used to perform problem solving, solution design, integration and test preparation, risk assessment and mitigation planning, and related activities. Functional responsibilities include requirements analysis, implementation planning, subcontractor coordination, integration & test, sustainment, documentation, deployment, and system assessment.
Although this is a technical/engineering position, communication and interpersonal skills are crucial in this role. The candidate will be expected to interface with Government personnel, subcontractors, and management to identify required activities, perform collaborative planning, review deliverables, and resolve issues. Candidate selected is expected to travel up to 15%.
The Aerospace Engineer will report to the Army UAS Chief Engineer and the Senior Aerospace Engineer.
- Acts as a proponent to ensure successful systems engineering input to the US Army RQ-7Bv2 Shadow and US Army MQ-1C Gray Eagle programs.
- Produces modeling and MATLAB artifacts relative to US Army UAS.
- Performs integration, troubleshooting, testing, and documentation of UAS engineering tasks.
- Develops and transforms low/high-level design artifacts into functional systems design.
- Develops model-based system engineering products.
- Develops lower-level requirements.
- Develops test plans that validate customer-driven requirements are met.
- Develops and maintains engineering documentation and diagrams.
- Coordinates and communicates with US Army UAS stakeholders, end users, and internal & external customers, and leadership.
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering obtained within the last 12 months + up to 2 years of related experience OR Masters Degree obtained within last 12 months and no experience.
- Ability to diagnose complex system problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Ability to work and collaborate in team-based environment.
- Ability to participate in cross-functional planning, coordination, and task execution situations involving the full spectrum of system integration activities.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem-solving, organizational, and verbal/written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project and Outlook).
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance within first 180 days of employment.
- Active Secret clearance.
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple engineering disciplines (Integration, Software, Aero, Avionics, etc.).
- Report and/or technical writing experience.
- Experience developing Basis of Estimates (BOEs) for new opportunities.