No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos has an opening for an Antarctic Engineering Design Manager with the Antarctic Support Contract, supporting large scale sustaining operations and multiple projects across three United States Antarctic Program stations, 2 research vessels and multiple field camps.
The Antarctic Engineering Design Manager provides engineering expertise and guidance for the design, development, and implementation of various project solutions. Additionally, the Antarctic Engineering Design Manager serves as the lead integrator for program-wide design efforts; oversees designs of major projects, coordinates design reviews with multiple stakeholders and works collaboratively with multiple A&E firms.
The Antarctic Engineering Design Manager develops and maintains schedules, ensures compliance with engineering principles, design standards, and program/customer expectations while driving strategic engineering support and demonstrating a breadth and depth of knowledge in and across multiple engineering disciplines. The Antarctic Engineering Design Manager supports and leads Engineering Review Boards, supports Change Requests and works with multiple stakeholders to ensure successful integration across the program.
The Antarctic Engineering Design Manager will oversee the full technical scope of the multiple projects including a major Design-Build project, develop detailed design schedules, and ensure projects have a successful start-up.
This position is responsible for the management of design and construction sequencing, test and validation, configuration, document controls and supply chain engineering (a support function for procurement).
- Support the design process through the projects life cycle, overseeing and directing technical resources, monitoring the technical aspects of the project, coordinate with Project Managers, Sub-contractors and stakeholders and perform design management functions through construction. Manages a small team of Project Engineers.
- Coordinate all design discipline staffing requirements for the Project management organization.
- Responsible for design scope development, scope management and commercial/internal performance of the project design to meet project goals and objectives.
- Monitor the quality and progress of the design on each project, ensuring that production requirements are satisfied.
- Works closely with Project Managers/Engineers to resolve any existing or forecasted problems related to design staffing, quality of work, schedule performance, or productivity.
- Staffing and scheduling the design work to meet construction milestones, and regular interaction with the team to ensure engineering optimization of the design and prioritization of the design work.
- Establish the program requirements for design aspects of the projects, and monitor the draft and final deliverables for adherence to these criteria.
- Work with other managers, engineers, and discipline leads to develop budgets, schedules, and plans for the various elements of a project.
- Reviews and approves discipline staffing budget estimates and staffing assignment schedules on each project. Maintains appropriate staffing level, including temporary personnel, as needed. Reviews and approves staff forecasting reports.
- Work with the Project Manager and key project individuals to devise and execute action plans to rectify potential cost overruns or delays, or to accommodate significant changes to the scope of work. Advise the stakeholders and program leadership of any such changes.
- Establish standards and procedures manuals for project designs for the Project management organization Portfolio. Recommend improvements to organization and Program procedures.
- Promote technical and commercial excellence on the project through application of Quality Assurance processes.
Deployment to Antarctica may be required in this position at discretion of management. When required to deploy, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, as required by the customer for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Bachelors in engineering from an accredited institution with 10+ years of prior, relevant experience or a Master's with 7+ years of prior, relevant experience
- Ability to work in complex, matrixed environment
- Project management knowledge
- Proven leadership and team building skills along with a professional demeanor
- Knowledgeable in project management software
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) license
- Proven ability to perform in a supervisory/managerial capacity
- Thorough knowledge of industry practices and regulations are required
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic environment
US Citizenship or permanent resident is required for this position
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Previous experience as a Lead Engineer, General Engineering Manager, or Solutions Architect