Leidos is hiring a Transportation Engineering Intern in Reston, VA for the summer of 2019! The Transportation Engineering Intern will support work in the ground transportation areas of Operations, Safety, Connected Vehicles, Freight, and Access Management. The candidate will be responsible for assisting more senior positions and/or performing functional duties under the oversight of more senior positions. He or she will support the development of technical proposals to win new work, transportation implementation plans, and technical documents for local, state, and/or national government initiatives that aim to influence and change behavior of the general public and/or professionals (i.e., transportation engineers, state and local officials, planning and policy professionals). Under supervision, the candidate will perform work that is varied and may include transportation-related contract preparation, research, data collection, and reporting activities.
The candidate is expected to work 30 to 40 hours a week throughout the summer in Reston, VA. The role may require some travel to project sites (within the US) to support meetings, including meeting preparation and facilitation, writing meeting proceedings reports, and supporting web-conferences and webinars.
Typical job functions include:
- Development of transportation contract technical proposal, basis of cost estimate, and subcontract statements of work.
- Research on transportation subjects.
- Data processing and analysis
- Report preparation/technical writing.
- Meeting preparation, attendance, and documentation.
- Assist in the development of marketing and outreach products, including but not limited to fact sheets, case studies, user guides, website content, and design manuals.
Candidate must be enrolled in an Engineering or Transportation-related degree and have excellent verbal and written communication skills. He or she should be fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience using Microsoft Access for data analysis. Experience reading and writing Microsoft Access' VBA language, is a plus.
- College coursework or experience in Transportation Engineering, Technical Writing, and/or Database Development.
- Enjoys challenges associated with learning new topics.
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has strong time management skills.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Ability to think analytically, and apply general concepts to other applicable topics.
- Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
- Seeks constant improvement through self-identifying opportunities and peer feedback.