Leidos is hiring a Communications Specialist Intern in Reston, VA for the summer of 2019! The Communications Intern will assist the Leidos Safety and Operations teams' technical writing and proposal development throughout the summer. The prospective Leidos candidate would be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior undergrad student working towards a Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related discipline with interest and experience in outreach, communication, and technical writing. The Communications Specialist Intern will assist the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs in transportation-related projects and the development of technical proposals to win new work, transportation implementation plans, and technical documents for local, state, and/or national government initiatives that aim to influence and change behavior of the general public and/or professionals (i.e., transportation engineers, state and local officials, planning and policy professionals).
This intern role will support the proposal managers in the execution of the overall proposal development process by providing technical writing, marketing, communications, and organization skills. This includes efficiently tracking and monitoring the status of proposal, completing research to add value to Leidos' responses, recommending improvements to the communications approach as applicable, and assisting the Communications Specialist in the completion of proposals and projects. The successful candidate has interest in communications and outreach as well as developing knowledge of transportation industry, transportation safety and operation, connected and automated vehicles (CAV), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies.
The candidate is expected to work 30 to 40 hours a week throughout the summer in Reston, VA. The role may require some travel to project sites (within the US) to support meetings, including meeting preparation and facilitation, writing meeting proceedings reports, and supporting web-conferences and webinars.
Typical job functions include:
- Development of transportation contract technical proposal, basis of cost estimate, and subcontract statements of work.
- Monitor and track the proposal development lifecycle.
- Draft content for reports, fact sheets, presentations, and associated media and materials, articles in technical and general media publications, newsletters, and knowledge and technology transfer platforms.
- Create summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and public audiences.
- Meeting preparation, attendance, and documentation.
- Assist in the development of marketing and outreach products, including but not limited to fact sheets, case studies, user guides, website content, and design manuals.
Candidate must be enrolled in a Communications or Marketing-related degree as a rising sophomore, junior, or senior. The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and Strong, effective technical writing skills. He or she should be fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- College coursework or experience in Technical Writing, Proposal development, and developing marketing and outreach materials.
- Interest in transportation safety, operations, and emerging technologies related to transportation.
- Ability to learn substance of research quickly and the intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
- Strong, effective technical writing skills.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
- Enjoys challenges associated with learning new topics.
- Proven and measureable track record in business development.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has strong time management skills.
- Ability to think analytically, and apply general concepts to other applicable topics.
- Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
- Seeks constant improvement through self-identifying opportunities and peer feedback.