More About the Role:
Leidos is a large, multi-national corporation specializing in the management of complex technology programs. We have an exciting opportunity working with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to support the development and delivery of information technology services to the handling and processing of paper census questionnaires. The 2021 Census Questionnaire Management (QM) program, Program Management Office is located in the Southeast of the United Kingdom, near the ONS Titchfield, Hampshire office with the predominance of IT engineering support being provided from the US, in Lanham, MD.
What You'll Get to Do:
Plans, conducts, and coordinates software development activities. Participates in all phases of the software development lifecycle - including design, development, debugging/testing. Applies the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the development life cycle. Corrects program errors, prepares operating instructions, compiles documentation of program development, and analyzes system capabilities to resolve questions of program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques, and controls. Ensures software standards are met.
Throughout the program, the candidate will be required to perform the following under the guidance of more senior software engineers:
• Create detailed software requirements including identification, definition and modeling.
• Design digital Census forms based off of customer specifications.
• Implement third-party products needed to support systems and applications, including development toolkits.
• Develop and conduct unit testing to demonstrate stated requirements are accurate designed and implemented. Collaborate with the Test Engineering team in conduct of functional, system, integration, end-to-end, and performance testing of the solution and address defects to meet application requirements.
• Conduct code reviews, identify critical software errors and provide remediation
• Act independently to resolve design & development problems; engaging more senior engineering resources when appropriate.
• Work comfortably both individually and as part of a team, and be prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way.
• Display acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
• Analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
-Requires BS degree or equivalent experience and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
-Proficiency in Object Oriented Programming (OOP) using C++, C# or Java is required.
-Can communicate clearly and efficiently to team members and Census customers, verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
-Experience integrating commercial software libraries with custom code.
-Experience with source control tools.
-Experience of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
-Experience with Agile development and tools.