No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos has an opening for a Senior Level Windows Server Systems Administrator with SQL Server administration experience to support the ESA IV program. ESA IV is an IT Services program supporting several customers within the Department of Justice. The program provides a range of IT services, including help desk, deskside support, Windows workstation engineering and maintenance, managed print services, ITSM, Active Directory services, and video conferencing, among others.
This position requires an engineer to assist with the change process and incident response process:
Change Process: Must be able to support requirements from a customer and to maintain Windows Platform solutions in test and production. This work may be done independently or as part of a team. Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, supportability, and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Candidate should have experience with the latest Windows Server Administration tools.
The position requires candidate to be able to produce and review technical documentation.
Incident Response: Troubleshoot Windows-related service issues including outages, anomalous behavior, and slow response class of problems. Outages may be on critical systems and candidates must be able to work methodically through these stressful events. Must be able to provide recommendations to optimize Windows operation and performance
The individual selected for this position will be a member of the Windows Platform Services Team and will be assigned to work full time at a customer site in Washington, DC. This individual will provide SQL Server Systems Administrator Services and manage, operate and maintain Windows servers at the customer site.
- Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository
- Perform systems operation support, including server system administration, general troubleshooting, and troubleshooting of complex engineering issues for hardware, software, and network components
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements
- Support data center consolidation efforts
- Provide expertise and assistance in migrations to managed service(s)
- Design, build, and test application upgrades within specified timeframes
- Manage and maintain Windows and SQL Server databases in the customer data centers; work directly with customers as required to ensure their needs are met
- Review existing data models and provide both high-level and detailed recommendations for improvement to the data architecture
- Develop solutions to support the customer's needs will be written using SQL, PL/SQL, and scripting languages
- Data conversion, and other database-centric process improvement initiatives
- Work in a rapid paced environment and work independently
- Maintain the smooth operation of a multi-user computer systems, including coordination with other administrators, customers and engineers
- Set up administrator and service accounts, tune system performance, install system wide software
- Interact with users and evaluate vendor products
- Evaluate hardware and software, with the goal of improving and increasingly automating operations
- Develop and monitor policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources
- Create, maintain, and implement detailed documentation and maintain standard operating procedures
- Apply security settings and other commercial security best practices
- Applies best practice for tuning SQL databases to improve overall system performance.
- Researches interfaces to identify and code required updates to support integration.
- Ensures software releases are fully supported and gains approvals before implementing new changes into the production environment.
- Creates and maintains all SQL databases required for development, testing, and production usage
- Performs planning and assists application developers and System administrators, to ensure that any new SQL products or release upgrade takes place with minimal impact
- Administers all SQL database objects, including tables, clusters, indexes, views, sequences, packages and procedures
- Troubleshoots all problems regarding SQL databases, applications and development tools.
- Creates new SQL databases as required, enforces and maintains database constraints to ensure integrity of the SQL database
- Completing registry backups and modifications
- System (hardware) and application (software) installation and configuration
- System monitoring using installed tools as well as external tools
- Provide support on a M-F business hours schedule; also responsible for on-call, extended hour, and weekend support as required by mission or emergency situations.
The ideal candidate will be personable and articulate, and will focus on making sure that the customer's IT needs are met quickly and effectively. He or she will be a self-starter who can work with limited supervision. Excellent communication skills are required to effectively interface with customers on site and with staff in the main office in Washington, DC.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical discipline and 8+ years of overall related experience with a Windows server environment; additional related years of experience is accepted in lieu of a degree
- Solid hands-on knowledge of Windows and SQL Server administration is required for this position.
- The selected individual must be able to efficiently investigate complex database issues and provide solutions to technical leadership
- Effectively interface with database team members, software developers, customers, and senior-level management to influence program-wide decisions, efficiently investigate complex database issues, and provide solutions to technical leadership
- Proficiency with Advance Microsoft SQL structures SSIS, SSAS and SQL Clustering
- PowerShell Scripting experience
- Group Policy Management (GPO) and application of Local Security Policies
- Use of Windows Task Scheduler
- Application of security settings/STIGs and other commercial security best practices
- Experience with configuration, troubleshooting and maintaining virtual and cloud environments
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to multitask and function in a fast-paced environment
- MCSE certification
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- ITIL training and/or certification
- Past experience with the Department of Justice
- DOJ or DOD Active Clearance
- Customer interface experience
- Managing Active Directory/ADFS and DFS
- Network knowledge and experience
- Working knowledge of NetApp and other storage devices
- Exposure to SQL and Oracle and database concepts and installations
- ITSM knowledge and experience, particularly with Remedy
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and newer
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
- (SCCM) 2012 and newer
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2012 R2 and newer
- Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS)
- Microsoft Azure Backup
- Symantec End-Point Protection 14 and newer
- Citrix XenApp 7.9 and newer
- Veritas NetBackup 8.0 and newer
- Veritas Enterprise Vault 12 and newer
- NetIQ Directory and Resource Administrator (DRA) 9.1 and newer
- NetIQ Self Service Password Reset (SSPR) 4.3 and newer
- Meta-Directory Services (MDS)
This position requires that a security investigation be completed by the DOJ to permit access to customer-sensitive but unclassified information.