Innovate and create at Leidos! We have no shortage of challenging technical and research problems. Join Leidos team and apply your talents to solve them.
Our Leidos Innovation Center has an immediate opening for you, our next Computational Linguist specializing in natural language processing and machine learning to work in Arlington, VA . Perform in a demanding, high-energy position requiring flexibility and innovative technical solutions to the challenges of processing, interpreting, and analyzing unstructured text documents. We need someone knowledgeable in various text processing, data curation, and linguistic annotation methods, as well as familiarity with state-of-the-art research in natural language processing and practical application of related machine learning methods to human language data. Someone with experience constructing corpora, adapting/tuning NLP models, and evaluating natural language processing technologies in an operational environment would be a huge plus for us. You will be part of a small but dedicated AI/ML team to provide new data and technology for approaches and methods for advanced text analytics. Applications developed will to be used for high-profile Government research programs and DoD/IC applications, to include the National Media Exploitation Center (NMEC) DOMEX Data Discovery Platform (D3P).
Cool stuff you will get to do on the job:
- Independently design and undertake new applications of natural language processing research as well as partner in a team environment across organizations.
- Collect, curate, and analyze natural language corpora for a variety of NLP and text analytic tasks.
- Perform metrics-based evaluations of new technologies from research organizations to determine potential contributions.
- Work closely with software developers, network engineers, senior investigators, program managers, researchers, and data analysts on small teams to design and optimize a software platform to produce and analyze results, disseminate findings, and contribute to publications and presentations.
- Work on small projects analyzing a variety of big data covering national security, cyber security, business intelligence, online social media, human behavior and more.
- Support multiple simultaneous projects and take open-ended or high-level guidance, independently and collaboratively make discoveries that are mission-relevant, and package and deliver the findings to a non-technical audience.
To be successful in this job you will need the following:
- MS in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, Linguistics, or a related discipline with at least 6+ years of related experience; requirement may be waived you possesses a doctorate.
- Must have an active TS security clearance with the eligibility for TS/SCI clearance with a Polygraph.
- Experience in some of the following areas: text processing and construction of corpora in unfamiliar languages; processing of large text collections with standard NLP tools for parsing, entity extraction, POS tagging, topic discovery and classification (such as sentiment analysis), and natural language understanding; tuning hyper-parameters of existing NLP models for domain-specific data sets; computational manipulation and analysis of natural language documents using statistical models; experimenting with large corpora for developing and testing advanced NLP algorithms.
- Ability to program in Python, Perl, or other scripting language; comfort with work in a Linux environment.
- Familiarity with common NLP and ML toolkits such as Stanford CoreNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, scikit-learn, and Tensorflow.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods coupled with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them. Track record of active learning and creative problem solving.
- Ability to analyze and assess software development or data acquisition requirements and determine optimum, cost-effective solutions.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Direct support experience with military or intelligence community customers, demonstrating progressive technical development and outcomes.
- At least 6 months of specialized experience using machine-learning, text-mining or natural language processing techniques.
- Experience with neural architectures for NLP.
- Experience with C or Java.
- Active contribution to open source software projects or a portfolio of developed software.
- Experience implementing NLP techniques with social media and applying other non-traditional open sources to real-world mission solutions.
- Experience blending analytical methodologies and leveraging existing COTS/GOTS/OS tools in unconventional manners
- Familiarity utilizing virtualization and distributed field systems, such as Hadoop (or similar distributed file systems) in development and deployment environments.
- Familiarity using git, svn, JIRA, or other version control technologies.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS/C2S).
External Referral Program