Leidos currently has an opening for a Digital Design Engineer Intern to work in our St. Petersburg, FL office.
This is a great part-time intern opportunity during the school year. The candidate will be assigned tasks that are relevant and necessary to the successful execution of Leidos contracts. Leidos will provide the candidate with real world experience and technical and career mentorship throughout the internship, which may result in employment opportunities upon graduation.
This internship will have focus on the digital design aspects of Embedded Systems Design and will provide exposure to the entire lifecycle of the design process. The Leidos facility in St. Petersburg provides design, development, modeling and simulation, analysis, prototyping and testing of advanced electronic systems, with a focus on embedded communication systems, Software Defined Radios and Phased Array Antenna Systems to various DOD and commercial customers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist team in designing, developing and testing sophisticated electronic communications hardware and firmware.
- Perform Logic Design; write VHDL code, logic simulation, synthesis and testing for use within FPGA/CPLD devices along with documentation to support the designs.
- Review and analyze requirements, participate in defining, deriving and allocating hardware requirements.
- Translate conceptual designs into detailed design specifications, electrical schematics, complete bills of materials (BOMs) and Printed Circuit Board Design (PCB) layout techniques, documents and drawings.
- Troubleshoot, improve and optimize designs from prototypes to matured products.
- Candidate must be pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or related field, and have completed at least two years of an undergraduate curriculum.
- Must be US Citizen and able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Knowledge of Digital logic design using VHDL with FPGA's, CPLD/s, and/or Microcontrollers and associated tools (like Xilinx Vivado or Altera equivalent)
- Knowledge of VHDL simulation - using part vendor tools or third party (Xilinx simulator, Active HDL, ModelSim etc.)
- Familiar with software languages like C/C++, Java, MATLAB etc.
- Familiar with schematic capture tools like Orcad Capture or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of various test equipment - Oscilloscope, Voltmeter, Logic Analyzer
- Self-motivated individual with excellent oral and written communication skills who pays close attention to detail.
- Able to work and collaborate within a multidisciplinary engineering environment.