Leidos is seeking a Lead EO R&D Engineer in Greenbelt, Maryland to support Next Generation optical communication ground terminal studies for the NASA Space network (ability to work remotely will be considered). Leidos is part of Space Communications Network Services (SCNS) team that is responsible for the operation, maintenance, sustainment, and systems engineering of NASA's worldwide satellite communication networks.
This position requires an active Secret clearance. U.S. Citizenship is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading the research, development, and analysis to support the evolution of the NASA Space Network to include high-rate optical communications.
- Conducting modeling, simulation, and analysis of optical communication technologies, techniques, and operational concepts.
- Evaluating potential optical communication architectures and ground station locations.
- Identifying system performance analyses, trade studies, risks and associated mitigations.
- Developing test plans and procedures for optical communications technologies and techniques.
- Supporting the development, coordination, and presentation of Key Decision Point (KDP) Presentations (e.g. PDCR, PDR, CDR, SRR, SIR, SAR, ORR, etc.)
- Evaluating and implementing weather monitoring equipment and assessing atmospheric impacts to optical communications.
Typical Education and Qualifications:
- Master's degree in engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics, or a related technical field and 15+ years of related work experience.
- 5+ years leading the research, development, and analysis efforts in support of a project.
- 5+ years of developing test plans and procedures for optical communications technologies and techniques.
- Successful track record of managing large R&D technology projects.
- Prior experience NASA or other federal government agency projects.
- Experience with optical communications systems and subsystems.
- Familiarity with NASA, DoD, or other agency systems engineering processes.
- Knowledge of the NASA Space Network