Leidos is looking to improve and advance our organization. Our program is focused on the delivery of data center services to our CMS customers and is structured around both current and legacy platforms in a consumption-based services model. We are looking to add skilled, energetic leaders and technologists who believe in cross functional teams, exhibit broad-based skills, maintain a customer-focused mindset, and have a willingness to step out of their work stream to complete the job.
With a "no downtime, zero outages" vision and mantra, we support a range of data center needs ranging from self-service to white-glove services, all of which are based on our customer's required level of support. Our organization is comprised of teams supporting PMO, Security, Quality, Intake, Service Delivery, Engineering, and Service Operations. With these teams, there is access to resources from our functional teams supporting Network, Security, Firewall, z/OS and z/VM operations, Unix Operations, Change Management, Monitoring, Capacity Management, x86 Operations, and Storage Operations. Part of everyone's responsibility is to help drive the new consumption-based services oriented model.
Now to you - your mission, if you choose to accept it as a Middleware Engineer is to be able to integrate into our team and automate processes such as COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) product installation, configuration, and patching. The engineer must also be able to troubleshoot application run-time issues, resolve those issues, and provide advice regarding changes necessary for the architecture of the application or the application code to prevent such issues from recurring. A quick learner is needed to configure new web applications and also to modernize the current applications with new COTS products. Your goal will be to work with all teams to help Leidos ensure delivery of high-quality, robust, and scalable solutions with minimal business impact.
The current work environment is on-site at Leidos in Woodlawn, Maryland with potential for on-site work at Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services ie CMS (in the same location). Telecommuting opportunities are currently being evaluated and may become available in the future based upon teams supported, work hours, and work performance.
- Troubleshoot Middleware issues from Build, Deploy, and Run perspective. Good understanding of JDBC and JMS connection management within WebSphere. Understanding of network standards, such as DHCP, DNS, SSL, TCP, UDP, IP, and ICMP and networking concepts, such as load balancing and routing and EFT file transfer. Ability to carry out basic network troubleshooting in a server runtime.
- Write scripts using languages including Java, Bash, Perl, and Python to automate tasks.
- Use Shell scripting, wsadmin, jython/python, and develop playbooks with Ansible to automate middleware administration task (eg. builds, patching, deployments, log copy jobs etc.)
- Use monitoring tools like CA Wily, NEW RELIC, SPLUNK, and EXTRAHOP to set up alerts for detection of any anomalies. Coordinate configuration of these tools to work with middleware products.
- Monitor the JVM performance by analyzing heap, connection pools, and garbage collection patterns. Provide root cause analysis (RCA) for any production outages in middleware areas.
- Document data power configurations, firmware upgrade and perform interfaces for operations team to deploy configurations and firmware upgrade.
- Apply security polices, certificates, encryption, and SAML in various Data Power devices.
- Use SOAP UI and Restful Client-UI for web services testing.
- Knowledge on XML and WSDL related technologies like DTDs, XML Schema, XSL, and XPATH.
- Work with the IBM WebSphere Data Power to send and receive messages from TIBCO Enterprise Message Service (EMS).
- Provide training, troubleshooting, technical advice, and direction to other members of the team and collaboratively work with peers and team members on assigned projects.
- Perform quarterly appliance audits for all middleware assets to ensure service quality.
- Follow guidelines for Security Control Assessment (SCA) to protect information systems. The SCA determines the extent to which controls are implemented correctly, ensures that controls are operating as intended, and produces the desired outcome with respect to meeting the security requirements for the system.
- Work with application developers, software programmers, system admins, and data base administrators (DBAs) to identify any performance bottlenecks/issues. Optimize WAS, HIS, and other product instances accordingly to remediate identified issues.
- Work on capacity planning in forecasting the growth and footprint of the application to create additional JVMs, increase heap size, and allocate other resources as needed.
- Work with middleware vendors on evaluating different COTS and provide input regarding vendor proposals. Remain up-to-date on new software updates. Drive vendor testing (proof of concepts).
- Provide support to resolve major issues and outages that require involvement of a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in computing technologies.
- Document standard operating procedures for middleware products management. Ensure that health reports are reviewed daily to remediate any JVM failures.
- Coordinate implementation, testing, and rollout into production of designed solutions. Ensure that implementations adhere to original design and provide SME leadership resolution of issues discovered during implementation.
- Provide architectural oversight and guidance on all projects involving the integration of middleware solutions.
- Work with vendors to create designs and configurations and translate these into Bills of Materials (BOMs) that satisfy requirements and meet budget objectives. Provide input for new project proposals from a middleware perspective.
- Ensure designs are aligned with architecture directions and follow industry best practices. Act as a liaison between the business and architecture team to ensure business requirement coverage for all middleware components.
- Develop solutions that are highly innovative and implement them through research and integration of best practices. Recommend and develop new technical solutions, products, and/or standards in support of function's strategy and operations.
- Manage engineering and operational service metrics with actionable plans to improve operational efficiency, enhance service quality/SLA, and optimize delivery. Maintain a strong understanding of ITIL Principles, and adhere to on-call coverage regulations during off-hours and holidays.
- Manage team assignments and tasking to ensure complete coverage of all assigned tasks.
BS degree and 12 - 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 - 13 years of prior relevant experience. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Working experience with the latest versions of COTS Products, WebSphere, Apache Tomcat, JBOSS, IBM MQ, IIB, IBM Http server, WebLogic, IBM FileNet Content Management, nginx, Sun one Webserver, Angular, Node JS, IBM data power, Kafka etc.,
- Experience in trouble shooting methodologies and techniques for problem determination in WebSphere applications.
- Good knowledge on MDB, Activation Specs, JMS, SIBUS, configuring type 4 driver etc.,
- Strong depth of understanding regarding the differences between Web Sphere Network Deployment, Web Sphere classic, and WebSphere Liberty profile. Working experience with configuring the Web Sphere application servers including liberty profile JDBC, JMS, MDB, JAXWS Web Service, and merged Web Server Plug-in file.
- Dev Ops implementation experience with GIT, Jenkins, or any other dev ops tool for CI/CD pipeline.
- Configuring SSL Certificates and troubleshooting SSL certificate issues.
- Working knowledge of AWS services such as EC2, EBS, ELB, Security Groups, RDS, and S3.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for documenting the implementation procedures.
- Team player with solid collaborative and multitasking skills.
- Ability to adapt according to the environment and situation while fulfilling responsibilities accordingly and resolving any conflicts that arise effectively.
- Ability to take initiative on projects and act independently as well as be a key team player.
- Agile-based knowledge and skill.
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.