Leidos Life Sciences currently has an opening for a Senior Life Scientist to perform research at the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC), Plum Island NY under a contract with the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate. The overall goal of the program is to develop, test, and evaluate methods to decontaminate components of the PIADC facilities. The primary targeted pathogens are Foot-and-mouth disease virus and African swine fever virus. Research may include developing decontamination processes with other animal viruses such as classical swine fever virus, and potentially other pathogenic and nonpathogenic animal viruses and biological indicator organisms.
The position requires daily travel to and from Orient Point, NY or Old Saybrook, CT and Plum Island aboard government-provided marine vessels.
Ph.D and 6 years of experience.
Experience leading projects.
Preference for at least 2 years of research lab experience.
3. Biosafety level -2 or -3 lab experience is not required, but all lab work will be performed inside BSL-2 and BSL-3 labs. Individuals are required to shower out of the BSL-3 labs at the end of the day after working in bio-containment.
4. Laboratory work will include but is not limited to:
• Viral infection of mammalian cells
• Detection of viruses and bacteria by relevant means, including biological indicator organisms
• Passage of continuous cell lines and preparation of primary cells
• Designing, validating, and testing of viral and bacterial decontamination regimens
• Maintenance of laboratory notebooks
5. Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
6. Experience with animal pathogens is not required.
7. Proficiency in using basic word processing and data management software is required. Reports will be written and submitted to DHS scientists and managers, and most likely to regulatory authorities. Manuscripts for publication in scientific journals and presentations at relevant conferences are anticipated.
8. Preference is for highly motivated, dependable, and well-organized scientists who are also good team players.
- Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Able to obtain clearance for entry on duty and access to the BSL-3 space.