No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos is seeking a Research Scientist for our NETL Morgantown, WV site. The Research Scientist that we are seeking to join our team ideally will be a post-doctoral or early-career researcher with experience in heterogeneous catalysis with expertise in mixed metal oxide chemistry - particularly in the specialized research and development of these materials for hydrocarbon conversion reactions. Expertise is also desired in the areas of materials synthesis, characterization (e.g. XRD, XPS, SEM, TEM, FTIR, etc.), as well as testing and data analyses. The candidate must possess knowledge and practical experience with state-of-the-art mixed metal oxide catalyst fabrication, characterization, and reaction engineering. Knowledge and hands-on experience is required in the understanding of the structure and behavior of these materials in different gaseous and reaction environments. The selected candidate will research closely with the team as well as other researchers at NETL for the development of mixed metal oxide catalysts for the conversion of different hydrocarbon fuels into products (e.g. syngas).
- Catalyst synthesis using varied techniques and materials.
- Generating test plans for catalyst tests
- Data analyses and characterization utilizing XRD, XPS, microscopy, FTIR, BET, and others.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- An M.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field and 2 - 6 years of prior relevant experience with a focus on mixed metal oxide synthesis for catalytic applications, heterogeneous catalysis, materials or chemical processing.
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering with post-doctoral experience. The qualifications above plus hands-on experience is required in materials design, synthesis, and characterization, hydrocarbon conversion reactions or related applications. The preference is a candidate that has onsite national laboratory experience and familiarization with the specific safety procedures and processes that must be followed.