WAN Network Architect Gaithersburg MD or Ashburn VA
Leidos is seeking a WAN Network Architect who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA's) En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) technology. ERAM is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) and the pulse of the National Airspace System, helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management.
The WAN Network Architect (WNA) has primary and interdisciplinary skills to cost effectively architect and transition large scale IP and TDM WAN services. The WNA plans, designs and supports a very high availability mission and administrative network with delineated service levels for performance, reliability, maintainability and availability. The WNA must demonstrate in depth experience and be considered and expert in IP, SDN, TDM and wireless technologies. The WNA will work on emerging high profile projects and will be considered a subject matter expert and is responsible for meeting the business and technical requirements for the organizations overall objectives. The WNA interprets customer requirements and develops internal requirements and design solutions for optimal WAN services. The WNA identifies solutions based on alternative analysis, providing detailed assessments against requirements (technical, cost, business, security, schedule), establishing WAN baselines.
• Assess customer objectives, goals, intents, requirements, standards, etc. and re-craft these multifaceted constituents to re-state the problem and translate into WAN objectives and requirements.
• Establishes and maintains the WAN baseline.
• Performs customer requirement interpretation, develops internal WAN requirements to support the design and delivery of WAN services
• Establishes WAN architecture baselines and works with network system engineering to allocate requirements to all elements of the WAN network.
• Defines the WAN backbone(s), local access, cloud and premise architecture and services to support the architecture (both commercial and/or developed).
• Defines the TDM transition to WAN SDN and related services.
• Develops trade-off alternatives evaluating make-buy feasibility by performing concept exploration using established trade-off techniques to identify the best solution inclusive of cost, schedule, function, performance, security, and risk using figures of merit.
• Develops realistic use cases and scenarios that the program will encounter and tests various solutions performing proof of concept demonstrations or experiments.
• Evaluates architecture solutions and creates models of the target architecture alternatives to study the positive/negative effects.
• Develops technical performance measurement objectives and produces TPM models to track progress in meeting the performance baseline.
• Documents the design with multiple views for various usage levels (technical architectural level, business level, operational level, maintenance level, etc.)
• Develops the system, subsystem and hardware/software specifications inclusive of a concurrent engineering team.
• Verifies conformance of the design to specification requirements and the established baseline.
• Produces WAN engineering work products for the system under design to include: network communications hardware, software/platforms, systems, sparing plans, operational parameters, specifications, plans and reports.
• Develops WAN concept of operations for the range of required technologies (IP, TDM, SDN, Wireless).
• Identifies and quantifies risks and develops mitigation strategies.
• Organizes and optimizes the integration of systems, businesses and people so that the interaction is highly efficient and operates as a whole.
• Designs and defines interfaces between subsystems and external entities minimizing the amount of information to be exchanged between the subsystems and external entities.
• Develops transition strategies, plans and processes for migration from a legacy WAN and for co-evolving components of systems and their integration.
• Establishes a failure reporting, analysis and corrective action plan in coordination with concurrent engineering disciplines.
• Works with software engineering to develop and interpret requirements in the context of components and systems.
• Establishes the WAN bills of material (BOM) baseline for software and hardware and defines the inventory management control system.
• Establishes reliability, maintainability and availability objectives and works with RMA engineering disciplines to define solutions to meet these objectives.
• Support system integration, test, acceptance and operations/maintenance during all phases of a program.
• Co-Chairs the Architecture Review board.
• Conducts system requirements reviews, design reviews, preliminary and critical design reviews with concurrent engineering teams and contractors to monitor and measure the progress of a network or system being designed.
• Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Enhances WAN engineering team accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of architectural solutions; answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members; teaching improved processes; mentoring team members.
• Typically requires Masters with 15 - 20 years of prior relevant experience or Doctorate with 13 - 16 years of prior relevant experience. A minimum of 10+ years of specific experience as a WAN network architect
• Working knowledge of telecommunications as applied to systems engineering
• Expert working knowledge of SDN/NFV, TDM, IP, Wireless networking
• Experience working with US Government specifications and standards
• Proven portfolio of large complex programs that required WAN architecture/design and applied system life cycle processes
• Working knowledge of the FAA and their engineering practices
• Public Trust clearance or higher level clearance attained
• Must have Excellent communication and proven writing skills (including proposal writing) to work with all levels of customer and internal organizations