Leidos is hiring a Communications Specialist in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in communicating the latest in automated vehicle technology. The Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Leidos team, supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA's) cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will specialize in content development and multimedia design. The Communications Specialist is part of a larger Surface Transportation team that develops new connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for FHWA.
This role will support the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art research facility. The laboratory enables FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies. The position will assist in the execution of the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop support from stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications; such as videos, fact sheets, technical briefs, PowerPoint presentations, and social media. The successful candidate has practical experience with graphic design as well as video production and editing. Technical writing experience and a knowledge of the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), transportation industry, CAV technologies, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies are preferred.
• Provide support to outreach for stakeholder engagement activities.
• Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of stakeholder engagement activities.
• Create and edit videos featuring FHWA CAV research.
• Develop design materials to illustrate FHWA cooperative automation and automated vehicle research.
• Draft and edit content for presentations, social media, public announcements, fact sheets, and associated media and materials.
• Draft and edit content for articles in technical and general media publications, newsletters, and knowledge and technology transfer platforms.
• Create summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
• Work with FHWA Public Affairs as needed to facilitate the logistics and development of various communications materials.
• Facilitate and moderate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats, including in-person and web-based.
• Assist with development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
• Support logistics for working with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed on the development and publication of communication materials and media.
• Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline with 3+ years full-time professional experience in outreach and communication.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Clearance
• Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Software, including Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop.
• Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
• Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate communications for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to work independently and with small teams.
• Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple communications and outreach projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Experience with technical writing.
• Skilled user of Final Cut Pro.
• Knowledge of web design and development.
• Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms, preferably Adobe Connect.
• Ability to learn substance of research quickly and the intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
• Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
• Proven and measureable track record in business development.
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
• Experience in project management