Leidos is looking for a Mid-Senior level Software Engineer to be a key part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors, in McLean, VA.
We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that performs research and development on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for the FHWA, including work with connected and automated vehicles. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. We also study human factors, such as a driver's ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. Because we have a small team with highly varied projects, an ability and interest in doing a variety of work is valuable. However, the intention is that this position will primarily focus on back-end systems.
Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed software design, coding, unit testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, system testing, user documentation, and customer interaction. Supervision of other employees and management of small projects may also be required as the organization and contractual situation evolves.
As part of a close team, the engineer will need to:
• Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
• Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
• Be able to advise and lead other engineers with example and diplomacy
• Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
• Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
• Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
• Work hard for the team's success
• Have demonstrated leadership experience and an ability to work complex assignments with minimal supervision.
Required Education & Experience
• BS in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
• 4+ years full-time professional experience in C++ and Linux environments, as well as C, C#, Java, Python, SQL, Windows
• Working knowledge of UML design language
• Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Experience with ROS
• Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
• Network design, configuration and maintenance
• Wireless communications, including cellular, WiFi and DSRC
• Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
• Experience with Git, Maven and Gradle