Leidos operates FHWA's Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve highway transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure interactions. Leidos seeks a proactive, motivated, and knowledgeable professional who will learn and support client needs and gain their trust.
Leidos is seeking an engineer to provide both system testing and software configuration management expertise. Having a solid understanding of systems and software engineering processes for establishing and maintaining consistency of product and service performance will be essential. Direct experience in at least one of these areas (system testing, software CM) and close exposure to the other is required. Our systems operate in the following areas:
• Vehicle-to-infrastructure and vehicle-to-vehicle cooperation emerging technologies,
• Cooperative automated vehicles,
• Traffic operations, and
• Intelligent transportation systems.
The Systems Engineer/Configuration Manager will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. The Engineer will perform technical work and develop deliverables as needed.
The Engineer is expected to work on a full time basis and report to FHWA's Turner Fairbank Highway Research Facility in McLean, VA.
Primary job functions will be:
• Develop system level test plans and detailed test cases, given requirements or enhancement descriptions.
• Execute system tests, documenting anomalies and tracking them to closure; manage documentation of test results where appropriate to ensure testing requirements have been met in a timely manner. Test execution may involve operation of vehicles with various levels of automation on closed test tracks or public roads.
• Test article setup and configuration, which may involve software installation, troubleshooting, configuration manipulations at the application of operating system level, and occasional minor system administration.
• Serve as the primary manager of the GitHub organization, where our open source and private repositories reside
• Act as the first point of contact for third party contributors to our repositories, performing triage and routing for their issues and pull requests.
• Reporting on metrics of open source repository activity.
• Managing public and private documentation stores on Confluence.
• Managing workflow and ticketing process on Jira, including maintaining automated interactions among Jira, Confluence, Github, and the continuous integration server.
• Own and enforce strict adherence to software release processes, using modern best practices, and act as the initiator of formal release builds. Provide configuration status accounting and version management.
• Manage data storage and transfer among systems for archival purposes.
• Contribute in occasional demonstrations, meetings, and webinars.
• Produce clear and concise written communication and deliverables.
• Participate in routine peer reviews of your work and providing critical review of others' work products.
• Writing technical reports.
• Freedom to manage, own, and develop solutions and new support services.
• Client interaction and relationship development.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with 3+ years of experience in software and systems development projects.
• Must be able to demonstrate competence in using Windows for typical office applications and basic Linux command line interactions.
• Successful candidate must have the ability and willingness to help others, be self-motivated, take ownership and initiative, and possess a desire to learn and grow, while self-teaching with minimal guidance.
• Candidate will need great oral and written communication skills, the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues, must be proactive in actions and communications, and able to follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
• Experience in Agile methodology with scrums and sprints
• Software programming or shell scripting
• GitHub, JIRA, Confluence especially with experience in configuring and customizing these environments
• Systems Engineering
• Data management
• Cybersecurity operations
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration's Operations Program