Set your sights high! We have no shortage of challenging technical and research problems. Join the Leidos Innovation Center team and apply your talents to solve them. Our Leidos Innovation Center has a career opportunity for a Data Scientist specializing in text analytics located in Arlington, VA. Perform in a demanding, high-energy position requiring flexibility and innovative technical solutions to the challenges of processing, interpreting, and analyzing unstructured text documents. We are seeking individuals knowledgeable in state of the art research in machine learning as applied to NLP as well as experience applying text analytics on real-world data and problems.
We need someone knowledgeable in various text processing, data curation, and linguistic annotation methods, as well as familiarity with state-of-the-art research in natural language processing and practical application of related machine learning methods to human language data. Experience constructing corpora, adapting/tuning NLP models, and evaluating natural language processing technologies in an operational environment would be a big plus.
You will be part of a small but dedicated AI/ML team to provide new data and technology for approaches and methods for advanced text analytics. Applications developed will to be used for high-profile Government research programs for DARPA / IARPA and DoD/IC applications. Designs and develops methods, processes, and systems to consolidate and analyze structured and unstructured, diverse sources including big data sources. Develops and uses advanced software programs, algorithms, querying and automated processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate datasets and models complex business problems. Is familiar with disciplines such as Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Predictive modeling, Statistical Analysis and Hypothesis testing. Works with cross-discipline teams in order to ensure connectivity between various databases and systems. Identifies meaningful insights and interprets and communicates findings and recommendations. May develop information tools, algorithms, dashboards, and queries to monitor and improve business performance. Maintains awareness of emerging analytics and big-data technologies
Cool stuff you will get to do on the job:
- Independently design and undertake new applications of Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Predictive modeling, and Statistical Analysis research as well as partner in a team environment across organizations.
- Collect, curate, and analyze natural language corpora for a variety of NLP and text analytic tasks.
- Perform metrics-based evaluations of new technologies from research organizations to determine potential contributions.
- Work closely with software developers, network engineers, senior investigators, program managers, researchers, and data analysts on small teams to design and optimize a software platform to produce and analyze results, disseminate findings, and contribute to publications and presentations.
- Work on small projects analyzing a variety of big data covering national security, cyber security, business intelligence, online social media, human behavior and more.
- Work with cross-discipline teams in order to ensure connectivity between various databases and systems. Identify meaningful insights and interpret and communicate findings and recommendations.
- Develop information tools, algorithms, dashboards, and queries to monitor and improve business performance.
- Support multiple simultaneous projects and take open-ended or high-level guidance, independently and collaboratively make discoveries that are mission-relevant, and package and deliver the findings to a non-technical audience.
To be successful in this job you will need the following:
- BS in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, Linguistics, or a related discipline with at least 4 years of related experience, OR MS with at least 2 years experience
- Must be eligible for TS/SCI clearance with a Polygraph.
- Experience in some of the following areas: processing of large text collections with standard NLP tools for parsing, entity extraction, POS tagging, topic discovery and classification (such as sentiment analysis), and natural language understanding; tuning hyper-parameters of existing NLP models for domain-specific data sets.
- Ability to program in Python, Perl, or other scripting language; comfort with working in a Linux environment.
- Familiarity with common NLP and ML toolkits such as Stanford CoreNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, scikit-learn, and Tensorflow.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods coupled with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them. Track record of active learning and creative problem solving.
- Ability to analyze and assess software development or data acquisition requirements and determine optimum, cost-effective solutions.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- Experience in some of the following areas: implementing NLP techniques with social media and applying other non-traditional open sources to real-world mission solutions; text processing and construction of corpora in unfamiliar languages; computational manipulation and analysis of natural language documents using statistical models; experimenting with large corpora for developing and testing advanced NLP algorithms.
- Experience with neural architectures for NLP.
- Experience with C or Java.
- Active contribution to open source software projects or a portfolio of developed software.
External Referral Eligible