Leidos is looking for a candidate to perform clerical and word processing support tasks for ci v il and criminal cases for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the So uth e rn District of Illinois located at Nine Executive Drive, Fairview Heights, IL 62208. This is a part-time position of 3 days per week (total of 24 hours per week). The period of performance is from June 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020, with anticipated annual extensions thereafter.
The Contractor will work in a professional environment with Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs) and legal support staff to assist with the organization and handling of civil and criminal cases. In this capacity, the Contractor will be expected to:
• Perform legal report development using the computerized case tracking and record keeping system called LIONS, for opening and closing of both civil and criminal cases. This automated system is a management tool, which provides information used to manage litigation from initial referral to final deposition and provide comprehensive data for resource planning and evaluation. The management reports generated from the LIO S system are critical tools used by the headquarters office for annual statistical reporting.
• Assist in trial preparation for the Criminal Division by compiling, organizing, and indexing various evidentiary exhibits. Mark and identify trial exhibits and draft a list of exhibits to be offered at trial. Contractor will prepare narrative summaries, charts, tables, graphs, or other visual aids to be used at trial. Range of tasks includes, but is not limited to copying, mailing and closing files . The candidate will be asked to assist with other administrative tasks.
• Review a variety of both civil and criminal case documents and files to become familiar with the pertinent material and establish and maintain an effective system of compiling, indexing and organizing the information and its sources.
• Assist the Assistant U.S. Attorneys by filing correspondence in case files, preparing binders for cases and any other miscellaneous tasks. In criminal cases, produce copies of briefs and then bind them using a binding machine.
• Photocopies and/or scans in preparing discovery packages. Date stamps the discovery and copies any CD/DVDs that need to be provided to the defense counsel.
• Assist office legal assistants by purging files after case is completed, including properly disposing of unnecessary case records; shifting and rotating files so an organized filing system is maintained for the closed files; assigning each file a closed number which is logged into a central index; boxing up files for shipment; and shipping closed files to the Record Center.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to:
• Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer, photocopier, scanner, and fax machine to input and retrieve information, and to produce documents, correspondence, or forms.
• Meet established deadlines and work as a team player in a professional office
• Communicate clearly and effectively in meetings.
• Work and interact professionally and courteously with all levels of staff
- Lexis/Nexis or Westlaw
- Ability to quickly learn other software platforms and databases a plus.