Leidos has an opening for a Safety Specialist at the NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC) in Cleveland, Ohio. The Safety Specialist will perform safety activities in support of the NASA GRC test operations and facility construction activities, in Cleveland and Sandusky, Ohio. GRC test facilities contain complex process and mechanical and electrical subsystems with varying degrees of hazards. An excellent technical aptitude with broad industrial safety experience is required. The safety specialist will be a resource and work closely with facility engineers, test system operators and construction personnel. The Safety Specialist will work under the general supervision of the lead Safety Engineer and is expected to apply basic safety fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures. Successful candidate will exercise independent judgment within defined procedures and practices.
Duties include the following:
- Review site-specific Health and Safety Plans (HASPs) for construction and maintenance activities to ensure that safety and health concerns have been identified and adequately controlled.
- Participate in pre-construction conferences and progress meetings. Follow projects to completion ensuring compliance and providing safety requirement interpretation.
- Review job hazard analyses and advise personnel on need for and proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Apply occupational health and industrial hygiene principles as needed and work closely with occupational health professionals.
- Review the designs of new or modified test facilities and or systems for safe construction and operation.
- Participate in design reviews and engineering review board meetings, as appropriate. Provide input on safety compliance and best practices.
- Perform construction safety tasks including site inspections to verify compliance with OSHA and NASA safety standards.
- Perform facility safety inspections to determine compliance with regulations and standards; verify that corrective actions are implemented.
- Review and issue permits such as confined space, hot work, and excavation. Review lockout/tagout procedures.
- Perform compliance assessments of safety and health programs against OSHA regulations and the GRC Safety, Occupational Health and Environmental Program manuals.
- Be a general resource in one or more safety subject areas such as facility life safety, fall protection, PPE / JHA, LO / TO, confined space, construction, hot work, etc....
- Perform training of an assigned safety subject area and act as a subject matter expert.
- A bachelor's degree in a technical, or safety discipline and a minimum of 2 years of plant operation and construction safety experience. Equivalent experience will be considered in lieu of degree. The candidate should possess a working knowledge of OSHA Regulations and safety management principles. A background of technical or scientific education or experience is a plus.
Required Technical Experience and Skills:
- Familiarity with construction site activities, safety procedures and requirements;
- General knowledge of facility systems such as life safety, ventilation, electrical, process piping and material handling;
- A technical background in various process, utility, industrial and or mechanical systems and an understanding of associated hazards and risk assessment methodology;
- The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills as the position involves interfacing with client and on-site contractor personnel. Candidate must be experienced in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, for presentations, reports, and other uses.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.