The Mission Support Operation is currently soliciting experienced linguists at all levels (i.e., entry through expert) for a language services contract supporting an Intelligence Community customer in the National Capital Region (NCR). Linguists will be conducting media monitoring and analysis. They will perform a full range of activities in processing textual, video, audio, and social media material, including monitoring, selection, full translation, summarization, and analysis based on the monitoring and analysis of traditional media and social media information. All work will be performed from the linguist's home office.
Primary Languages of Interest:
Any and all languages of Africa; East Asia and Pacific; Europe and Central Asia; Latin America and Caribbean; Middle East and North Africa; South Asia.
- First and foremost, all applicants must have full professional fluency in American English, including a command of common idioms and expressions.
- Monitor assigned Internet-based media sources and make selections based on customer criteria Process source vernacular into translations, summaries, roundups, and other defined products Adhere to strict style and format editorial standards Respond to requirements from customers by collecting data, analyzing results, and publishing detailed written reports.
Education & Experience:
- Requires a BA degree and 2 - 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- US citizen
- Professional-Level proficiency in a foreign language (ILR 3 or higher)
- Experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist Experience with open source research, including social media exploitation
- Focused knowledge of particular media environments Ability to capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text
- Experience in translating or summarizing from live or recorded video or audio
- Ability to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts
- Ability to triage selections to isolate pertinent and nuanced info
- Master use of reference materials. Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient Internet skills that will allow advanced research on the Web
- Ability to work independently and as a contributor to a virtual team Self-starter with curious mindset and desire to solve problems and learn new skills Strong organizational skills, time-management skills, attention to detail, and strong initiative
- Effective communicator in both written and verbal formats to a variety of audiences
- Successful completion of English and foreign language translation testing
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and at least three years of experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist
- Experience with Human Language Technology (HLT) such as computer assisted translation (CAT) tools, post-edited machine translation, and adaptive machine translation tools