Leidos has a career opening for a Systems Engineer - Power Specialist at Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, CO.
This position will require about 50% travel to CONUS and OCONUS sites to provide network power evaluation at remote USG satellite communication sites worldwide.
• Evaluate network architectural, civil, mechanical, structural, and electrical engineering for USG communications networks.
• Evaluate power requirements for primary power, voltage, steady-state variation, dynamic of transient variation, frequency, power factor, availability, auxiliary power, class A power system, class B, C, & D auxiliary power, and floating battery power.
• Evaluate single line power diagrams and as-built drawings.
• Review preventive maintenance programs and understand maintenance responsibilities for transformers, station ground, disconnect switch, surge arresters, motor/generator, controllers, contactors, overload protection, shunts, housing and connections, switchgears, and panel boards.
• Evaluate and test power plant procedures during simulations of a prime power outage, transfer to a standby power source; Return to the primary power source; Parallel two sources of power; Balance power between the two sources; Balance system voltage and frequency.
• Evaluate and test adequate working clearances, dedicated spaces and head room around electrical equipment while energized.
• Evaluate and test non-sinusoidal voltage & current and impact to the AC and service equipment and determine in terms of interruption and degrading of prime power, when should standby power be utilized or switched in.
• Evaluate and test power requirements in terms of primary power, Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS), generator for supporting the types of loads.
• Evaluate and test electrical receptacles for proper polarity, for grounding and bonding connection.
• Bachelor's Degree and 8+ yrs of experience; additional years of experience may be substitued in lieu of degree.
• Must possess a US Passport or eligible to attain one.
• Must be able to travel to remote USG satellite communications sites worldwide.
• Ability to operate a power meter/analyzer in the analysis of a facility's power distribution system.
• Working knowledge of electric motors, motor controllers, classes of power loads, electrical switching and protection, Non-linear loads, wire sizing, stranded and solid conductors, power transmission systems and elements, high and low voltages and compare their ranges, transformers, voltage regulation, current regulation, elements of a generator, over-current protection, single (One) line power diagram, DC systems, ground-neutral reversal and characteristics of lead-acid and sealed stationary battery systems.
• Must have an active TS/SCI security clearance.
External Referral Eligible