Electrical Engineer Portland or Seattle
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms
We are seeking a Electrical Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Substation Engineer III will work under the direct supervision of an experienced licensed professional engineer and is expected to work independently on his/her assignments.
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
• Perform Physical Electrical, Protection and Control, SCADA Systems, Station Communications and Station Automation design on medium to large scale utility substation engineering projects with higher complexity.
• Perform advanced engineering studies and calculations.
• Perform low complexity engineering studies or assist senior engineer with advanced engineering studies.
• Prepare project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
• Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as required. Should be able to assess the impacts of design changes on other disciplines to pick the best solution. Foster constructive communication between disciplines.
• Assume the role of technical lead on smaller projects with limited guidance or on medium sized projects with guidance.
• Perform Quality Control reviews on smaller projects independently or on medium sized projects with limited guidance or on portions of larger projects with guidance.
• Prepare proposals for smaller projects under the direction of project engineers. Provide drawing counts and man-hour estimates for small to medium sized projects. Develop scopes of work for small to medium sized projects.
• Be involved in limited client interaction with a senior, project or lead project engineer.
• Develop leadership skills in preparation for future roles on the team.
• Develop and provide advanced technical presentations to the team to assist with staff technical development. Support the training and mentorship of junior and less experienced staff.
• Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
• Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization.
• Support Leidos' goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
• Typically requires a B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university and
4 -8 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree or 2-6 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
• Comprehensive understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
• Comprehensive understanding of the function and application of major substation electrical and control house equipment
• Strong competence in applying basic theories and principles involved in substation engineering
• Expertise in researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
• Keen focus on quality and an appreciation for high quality deliverables. Understanding of the importance of quality and quality control in our industry.
• Strong attention to details
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
• Self-starter who can work unsupervised
• Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
• Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• High level of computer competency
• Strong proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
• Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
• Proficiency with Bentley ProjectWise data management system.
Frequent travel to and from job sites may be required on a project-by-project basis.