Substation Engineer II Houston
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms
We are seeking a Substation Engineer II who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Substation Engineer II will work under the direct (or limited in some cases) supervision of an experienced licensed professional engineer and is expected to develop skills in the field of substation engineering and the ability to work with greater independence.
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
• Perform Physical Electrical, Protection and Control, SCADA Systems, Station Communications and Station Automation design on small to medium sized utility substation engineering projects with medium complexity.
• Perform medium to advanced complexity engineering calculations to support engineering design.
• Assist senior engineers with engineering studies.
• Prepare project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, project-related correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
• Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as required. Should be able to assess the impacts of design changes on other disciplines to pick the best solution.
• Perform Quality Control reviews on smaller projects.
• Prepare portions of smaller proposals under the direction of project engineers. Provide drawing counts and man-hour estimates for small to medium sized projects.
• Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
• Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization.
• Take opportunities to improve technical knowledge and understanding of the work.
• Develop and provide moderate complexity technical presentations to the team to assist with training and staff development.
• Assist project engineer with project-related technical support to field personnel during construction.
• Support Leidos' goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
• 3 - 6 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
• 2 - 4 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
• Solid understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
• Solid understanding of the function and application of major substation electrical and control house equipment
• Competence in applying basic theories and principles involved in substation engineering
• Keen focus on quality and an appreciation for high quality deliverables. Understanding of the importance of quality and quality control in our industry.
• Strong attention to details
• Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
• Self-starter who can work with reduced supervision
• Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
• Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• High level of computer competency
• Proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
• Registered Engineer In Training (EIT)
• Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
• Proficiency with Bentley ProjectWise data management system.