Our Defense Group has a new opportunity for a Junior Scientist to help support the Chemical Biological Center (CBC) - Chemical Analysis Physical Properties Branch in basic and applied research efforts using state of the art instrumentation. Located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, our ideal candidate will support the research of novel materials, instrumentation, and method applications for chemical and biological detection.
The Scientist will perform tests and experiments in support of principle investigators on multiple funded projects for various Government agencies. Support involves working closely with other members of a multi-discipline team to plan, design, and conduct experiments using characterization and detection techniques. Research and characterization of sorbent materials of interest with explosives and various chemical and biological warfare material (CBWM) will be performed, as well as studying the optical and electrical changes with the analytes, modifying test systems, calibrating analytical equipment, analyzing data, and reporting results.
- Functions as a team member with chemists, engineers, biologists, and scientists by performing research with chemical and biological warfare material (CBWM) and explosives.
- Operates and maintains instrumentation such as gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers, high performance liquid chromatographs, fluorescence laser microscope, ultraviolet-visible and infrared spectrometers, scanning electron microscope, and laser spectrometer.
- Executes experiments revolving around the characterization of physical properties of various chemical and biological warfare material.
- Performs work in accordance published processes and procedures with an emphasis on safety.
- Generates test data and contributes to technical report development.
- Performs bench-top experiments, analytical calibrations, and various chemistry efforts.
- Contributes to product development.
- Prepares samples for testing, maintains laboratory notebooks, and disposes of laboratory hazardous waste.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An active DoD Secret Clearance
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related science field with 2-4 years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience in chemistry and biology applications
- Demonstrated experience in safety and handling of chemical and/or biological warfare material
- Demonstrated knowledge in analyzing and reporting analytical data
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to wear laboratory personal protective equipment to include air purifying respirator.
- Experience in operating lab instrumentation such as gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers, high performance liquid chromatographs, fluorescence laser microscope, ultraviolet-visible and infrared spectrometers, scanning electron microscope, and laser spectrometer.
- Broad proficiency in microscopy, chromatography, spectroscopy and other technologies relevant to chemical and biological defense.
- Has knowledge of current CBRNE threats.
- Hands-on experience in working with CBWMs and other toxic chemicals.